• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with evga 750i FTW and q9300. First time!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acolona

I've been an AMD guy since around the 1 GHZ days...but I couldn't resist the performance I am seeing on intels side right now. I ditched my AMD 4600 X2 and bought some new intel hardware. My current setup:
Mobo= evga 750i FTW
proc= q9300
memory= OCZ platinum 1066 2x2GB 4GB total
Videocard= evga geforce 7950 KO x2 in SLI
PSU= Antec truepower trio 550
2x7200 sata hard drives
2xIDE dvd-rw drives

My issue is overclocking, which I am new too. I pretty much left everything stock and just tried pushing the FSB up with memory linked. at 2.8GHZ my memory is at about 1000 (which is within spec) and I am completely stable. Anything over that and I eventually get BSOD in windows randomly and when stress testing. I tried bringing my memory clocks down to 800..no luck...tried pushing my vcore to around 1.45..no luck. Brought it back to 1.35 (which seems safe based on everything I have read.

A 300 MHZ overclock with my board and proc just seems very low, or unlucky?? I don't want to push 3.5-3.6 GHZ I would just be happy with a completely safe and stable 3.0-3.1 GHZ. Any opinions?

Using realtemp with my current settings at 2.8 my idle is around 40 for 3 cores, and 1 says 48...is that odd? Prime 95 for 10 minutes puts that one core around 70 while the other 3 float around 60-62. No tweaking of realtemp.

Oh...i am running the stock intel cooler (which from what I have read seems fine for my goal of 3.0 GHZ), and my PSU did not have a 8-pin ATX plug for the CPU, but obviously the 4-pin fits...could that cause a problem?

Any help would be appreciated?

Back