• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clinker42

Registered
Hi Guys

My Rampage Formula, Veloci Raptor and 6400AAKS just turned up. I still havent decided on a case yet so I am going too install it in my current case.

My question is, whats all this talk I hear about pulling off the heat sinks and putting on new thermal paste. Is it a neccesity or just for guys who really go extreme with the overclocking. I plan too push my Q6600 up too about 3.0 Gig.

Secondly, if heat is an issue, can someone link me too fans that can readily fit too the Rampage.

Thanks Heaps

Trevor

It's probably not necessary to remove the heatsinks, but I suggest doing it. The problem is that they get difficult to remove after they heat up. If you want to reseat the heatsinks later, you might have to freeze the board or worry about ripping off chips. The NB does run pretty hot, but it is well withing spec according to Intel.

The chipset heatsink is a lot more pieces than it looks. The NB seperates from the voltage heatsink. You can pop open the NB heatsink too and find that it is all held together by what looks like elmers glue. I couldn't find any solvent to get it off. It was tough to get all the pieces back together. I would have soldered it all back together, but I could find a solder iron.

I ended up just using AS5 at all the seperate junctions.

I screwed in an old AMD CPU fan into the heatsink with some pointed screws. It's not the most elegant solution, but it works very well. Also, change NB voltage from auto to about 1.3v and add a some if needed. !.4v should give you all the FSB you need.

My question is, whats all this talk I hear about pulling off the heat sinks and putting on new thermal paste. Is it a neccesity or just for guys who really go extreme with the overclocking. I plan too push my Q6600 up too about 3.0 Gig.

IMHO, the best way to get the heatpipe/HSF off the Rampage is to fridge your board. However, I only suggest doing so if you plan to WC. The stock sinks do a very good job, if you have proper air flow. Many have removed the sinks and used tr-h05 sinks on SB/NB, but I'm sure a small case/ram fan positioned over the NB will do wonders. There are a few threads in here about cooling the MF/RF. Good luck!!

Thanks Guys

I removed the Heat sink.

ASUS, YOU ARE DISGRACEFULL AND SHOULD BE ASHAMED OFF THE QUALITY AND WORKMANSIP

i PULLED THE HEAT SINKS OFF and you should see the disgusting effort ASUS has made. They have used that stick on tape, on the North Bridge it had stuck too the heat sink but had not even touched the NB. Then too make matters worse, it looks like they have put some paste on the NB chip and it hasnt even spead over the surface, it is only covering half the chip.

I took some pictures so I will learn how too post them.

I would highly recommend anyone with a Rampage too pull off the heat sink and do it with Artic Silver.

Pretty poor for a quality board

lol :)

to answer your q on sending pix, just upload them to imageshack, and then link the one thats to be used in forums, or use the second if the first one fails.. ;)

..hasnt even spead over the surface, it is only covering half the chip.

Keep in mind the core itself is prolly 1/4 the size of the die, so its not surprising it does not cover the entire surface. Funny post nonetheless, glad to hear you successfully removed the heatsinks!

Hi
Yes Chawks, you are right, but even given that, heat transfers so the more contact the heat sink has on the chip the greater the cooling capacity. You can see on the chip that say intel, the heat sink hasnt actually come in contact with the chip as there is grease on the sink yet the chip is perfectly clean. On the N/B you can see the contact in the middle yet look at the heat sink, the tape wasnt even touching the heat sink. The whole heat sink just lifted off free hand with out any effort at all.

Attachments

• 101_0423.jpg
    101_0423.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 101_0422.jpg
    101_0422.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 113
Isn't that nice??
That's why I always remove the bling..
I left my heatpipe off my premium, used an after market cooler on the sb/nb, and put a fan over the mosets..

Back