• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm testing two different motherboards and...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trist007

Registered
What's the preferred surface to put my motherboards on while I test them. I don't wanna screw them into my case, and the switch them out again, when I test out my other mobo. I wanna run some tests to see which motherboard is better, without having to put them inside my computer case. What should I put them on? Any other tips?

I usually take the foam pad that comes in the box, and puts it on the box. I've had zero casualties. Otherways, the box alone tends to work. If you've got some old chassis, see if you can take out the backplate. That's to prefer over all the others.

So then resting on the foam, which would be resting on the box would be ok? Foam doesnt' have static?

And of course, I should put the hard disks in the case at least right? Heard those need to be secure, anything else that needs to be secure? DVDS?

I imagine most surfaces, like wood for example, are alright, just not carpet or a blanket. If I were worried about it I would place the motherboard on the static bag it came in.

I wouldn't worry about static that much. Me and a mate got some motherboards and rubbed them on the carpet, long story short, they worked fine (note: do not try this). I would be worried about the foam though. I put a mobo on foam once and it managed to melt its way into the foam rendering it useless in a case. I would just put it on the box or static bag, but a wood surface or similar would be fine.

box -> foam -> mobo static bag.

Have the slot edge of the motherboard hanging off just a hair so the video card / etc faceplate don't cause the card to lever out of the slot while you're doing this.

Other than that, this works fine. Loose power supply + mobokit + etc hooked up to monitor, I've done many a test this way.

Back