• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus cuv4x dimm 1 socket problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

parot50

Registered
i went to upgrade the memory in my dimm 1 socket from 64 mb pc 100 - 128 mb pc 133 and now my computer doesnt notice the ram at all in that port . i ve tried moving to diff socket and stick is good . what could be wrong ??

parot50 said:
i went to upgrade the memory in my dimm 1 socket from 64 mb pc 100 - 128 mb pc 133 and now my computer doesnt notice the ram at all in that port . i ve tried moving to diff socket and stick is good . what could be wrong ??

Some boards, the one I'm typing on now for instance, have an option in the bios which lets you tell it to basically turn off unused dimm slots and pci slots. I guess the thinking is the controller won't be wasting any effort on detecting something which is not going to be there.

I don't know of course if this is causing your phenomenon, but it's worth a look.

Lots of people say they have varying results from one slot to another.

If you're only using one stick, fine. If you're using more, consider that the memory controller works harder to use more than one dimm slot. If you can use only one you'll be able to measure your ram speed with as little as possible interference from controller issues.

Back