• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What exactly does this mean?

Memory Standard DDR2 800 (up to DDR2 1200 with EPP 1.0)

i mean if i were to get the mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813141005

should i keep my ddr2 - 800 or get new shiny faster ram?

Well.... you could either keep what you have or buy up to DDR2 1200 with EPP 1.0 :beer:

May I ask why you decided not to get the 790i? Your Corsair would run very well in the 780i but you will always have the option of DDR3 on the 790

Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP) is a memory technology for PC's delevoped by NVIDIA, primarily designed to make overclocking easier. It is a feature of the nForce 5, nForce 6 and nForce 7 chipsets. Corsair, along with NVIDIA, were the primary parties in developing the specification.

EPP is mostly available only for DDR2 memory modules. It requires support of both the motherboard and the memory module. It uses unused space on the SPD. EPP handles many factors, including memory timings to potentially improve performance. Data can be used by the motherboard's BIOS to automatically configure the system. EPP can handle clock speed, CAS latency, tRCD, tRP, tRAS, memory voltage, and command rate. In addition, a fully enhanced profile will be able to handle drive strengths, fine delays, setup times, write recover time, and tRC. It can also enable the user to overclock the computer's CPU and memory at the same time.

NVIDIA's name for EPP memory that has been qualified for performance and stability is "SLi-ready memory".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Performance_Profiles

get new RAM?
well right now you have 800MHz RAM
do you have your FSB clocked higher than 400MHz?
if you don't then your 800MHz RAM is fine

Well.... you could either keep what you have or buy up to DDR2 1200 with EPP 1.0 :beer:

May I ask why you decided not to get the 790i? Your Corsair would run very well in the 780i but you will always have the option of DDR3 on the 790

well the biggest factor is price really, and i am not sure if i want to keep the q6600 or go to the e8400 so thats another factor of $$

do you think it is worth the ~100 for the 790?

DDR3 is much more expensive as well? edit: looking at it now guess its not

@ Obi Thanks for the explanation... :) (told you it was noob question)

Last edited:
Back