• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow, I'm torn...upgrade or new system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Experimental

Registered
I'm really torn between either upgrading my old case (It's one of the old Monarch Hornet Pro mATX cases - much like the attached photo,) or doing a full new system build.
3587793.jpg

Since Monarch Computer went under, no one really supports this case anymore. But, it's a wonderfully built case! It uses a mATX power supply and mATX motherboard. As you can probably guess if you don't already know, mATX power supplies aren't too good. And mATX motherboards don't usually have the best chipsets and features either. And to put a cherry on top, cooling can be an issue.

However, if I do upgrade, it will be at least a C2D or C2Q cpu, and an NVidia 8800, 9800, or the latest ATI video card.

So, what do you all think? Is it futile to rehab the Monarch case? Or, is it do-able?

I am building a mATX setup pretty soon myself, and I think it's more doable now than ever because mATX is finally getting some decent chipsets.

One of the bigger problems with mATX cases is the power supply. Very rarely should you even consider using the mATX PSU that came with the case for overclocking. There just aren't any good mATX PSUs that I'm aware of, so you gotta fit this huge thing that takes up like a quarter of the case's volume!

Anyway, I say go for it. But you may want to hold on a minute, the G45/G43 mATX boards are about to become available. If you're impatient you could get a G33/G35 chipset, those are good boards and they're cheap.

Check the specs on the 600w gameXstream PSU...as small as it is, it just might fit your mATX case...also dont give up on mATX just yet...

DFI LP Jr. P45 T3RS DDR3 CrossFire Micro ATX Motherboard will be out shortly.

"Crossfire uATX Micro ATX Motherboard Form Factor. Yep DFI has a crossfire ready (uATX) micro ATX Motherboard DFI Lanparty Jr P45-T3RS that will support DDR3 on a Intel P45 Chipset that will support Supports Intel® Core 2 Extreme/Core 2 Quad/Core 2 Duo based processors in LGA775 package.
Supports Intel® Yorkfield, Wolfdale in the LGA775 package. (WOW) a small form factor pc ATI crossfire ready motherboard that supports Intel P45 Chipset and DDR3."

Back