• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sli only on Nforce boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

curtisbouvier

Registered
Little confused here.

I read this on xbitelabs:

"However, you can only enjoy SLI if you have a mainboard based on an Nvidia nForce chipset in your system."

does this mean 2 nvidia video cards wont work on an X38 or an X48 or an Athlon board?

how exactly does all this crossfire and SLI stuff work these days? i'm a little out of the loop, still running an X1900 XT / athlon 64 3700

Little confused here.

I read this on xbitelabs:

"However, you can only enjoy SLI if you have a mainboard based on an Nvidia nForce chipset in your system."

does this mean 2 nvidia video cards wont work on an X38 or an X48 or an Athlon board?

how exactly does all this crossfire and SLI stuff work these days? i'm a little out of the loop, still running an X1900 XT / athlon 64 3700

Depends on whether or not the chipset Manufacturer has an SLI/Crossfire license

Only 1 board that runs either SLI or CrossFire and that's the Intel Skulltrial: Board Review . It ain't cheap.

Boomer has it pretty much covered:

Crossfire is ATI Only ( Intel chipset boards)
SLI is Nvidia Only ( Nvidia chipset boards)

Will two cards work on x38/x48? Yes
Will two cards work on x38/x48 in SLi? NO

wowwwww...

I never realized that If I plan to run 2 video cards, I had better be sure WHAT 2 video cards and What mainboard to get.

I just figured if it has 2 PCIE slots, you could run whatever you want and all that SLI / Crossfire stuff was just marketing....

SLI and Crossfire are completely dependent on the motherboard you're using. If you want SLI get a motherboard with an Nvidia chipset. If you want Crossfire get an Intel or AMD chipset.

Both are quite powerful tools in the gaming world. But buying two good video cards is expensive so it's mostly for enthusiasts.

i'll have to wait for the 4870X2 and see how it performs

if 2x 4850's is beating 1x 4870x2, then somethings up

I want to make sure I have a futureproof system this time around

I think you may have some confusion:

you can run ANY 2 video cards on any board with 2 slots, you could run an 4850 and an 8800GT on one board if you want, but they run independent of each other. (i have an 4850 on the way once i do i will be running a 4850 and a 7600GT on the same board, the 7600GT will do video out to my tv while my 4850 is my primary card used for daily work and gaming.)

what you CAN NOT do is run 2 NVIDIA cards as 1= SLI on an intel chipset. NVIDIA only

nor can you run 2 ATI cards as 1 = Xfire on an nvidia board, only on intel

sli and xfire isn't marketing it is using 2 or more cards to basically be seen as 1 and run as 1

Back