• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCIe 2.0 Motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

milomak

I am currently in the process of conceptually building a PC. Which hopefully I will OC (stock air). However with most other components I have been able to read up, do research and really come up with what I think will work for me. But I have just realised that my thinking on the matter is dependant on a choice of option: RAM

At this point here is what I am thinking:

I will be building it around an HD4870 and Q9300 (both of which I will be OCing).
I am willing to add extra cooling if need be.
I assume that most graphics card for the next 2 years or so will be PCIe 2.0
I will not be using Crossfire or SLi.

With the above in mind, is it fair to ask for suggestions for boards that are either DDR2 or DDR3? My confusion on the matter is then exacerbated by whether I should wait maybe till the end of the year when DDR3 will hopefully be more affordable.

Damn you DDR3 cost :mad:

Another thing, with the 45nm C2Qs, which boards don't bring about an FSB wall?

Majority of intel boards with x38, x48, p45 chipest will get somewhere around 450fsb with capable cpu without any special mods to the motherboard. Same boards come in ddr2 and ddr3. Right now for not crossfire setup, p5q dlx gets decent feedback.

Back