• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this bent?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OoozeSheep

Registered
Arghhh i think so =(

I wanna get going ffs!

How do i solve this?

Tis me birthday as well =(

Bent.jpg

Help greatly welcomed ASAP!

OOh ouch yeah that's bent. The locking bar come down on to it might be stretching it a little far on that though.

Another solution, is if not mistaken that piece can be removed from the slot. If you want it fixed and quickly remove it so you can bend the piece back (on a flat hard surface with the topside down). That would be my only suggestion currently.

I rang Scan.co.uk and the guy asked for me to email him the picture

Apparently this is perfectly normal for such Socket 775 Boards, as it creates more pressure between the CPU and the pins, i was like holy shamoley thats a lot of pressure!

System is installing Vista now :)

Well

Its just a blank vista screen, but i'll give it 5 minutes =P

Uhh, that is most definitely not normal. I would suggest removing the bracket and bending it back.

No it is normal

I installed the CPU and i'm currently installing Vista :)

Its to increase pressure between the CPU and contact pads

Anyone got a board with a normal socket bracket on it? Place a pic up here. I would if I was at home but that wont' be for a few hours. More or less with a socket bracket bent that far your putting excessive pressure on the pins that connect to the CPU. Waay more than necessary.

Yes, it is working fine now, but it is exerting too much pressure on the chip.

I'm tearing a system apart tonight and I'll show you what it SHOULD be.

I know perfectly well what it should look like, but i'm taking the word of the people at Scan, he seemed like a perfectly honest bloke

Yes, but that doesn't mean he is right, they tell you what you want to hear. I still stand by what I suggest unless you like breaking your hardware. No reason to NOT fix it.

Agreed. This is NOT normal. It is NOT supposed to be like that.

Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Will it still work? Yes

Is it a big deal? Prob not.

But not normal and should be fixed. Heck its easy enough just bend the thing back.

That amount of bend seems excessive... it isn't even making contact with all of the CPU.

Exactly. The bracket by itself sits lower than the top of the CPU to put the proper amount of pressure on it equally over the CPU. With it like the way it is, it will put to much pressure on the right of the center of the chip not giving equal contacts.

Guess really that doesn't have me worried as much but the contact between the CPU and the heatsink is what will be affected the most.

My board (and another Gigabyte G31 board I bought for a client) came very slightly bent so I'm assuming that was probably intentional, but neither were anything that extreme. Plus both board's socket covers smoothed out easily once installed. I can't imagine that one smoothing out under any normal/acceptable amount of pressure.

That's a pretty serious bend there, and would certainly give too much pressure to the center of the chip.

what they said. it's definitely not normal. my mobo came the same way with it bent like that. when i tried to lock it down it was taking so much force that my cpu was getting scratched where the cpu cover was touching it, so yeah definitely not normal. i ended up taking it out, sticking the back in a small pipe wrench and bending the front down. worked like a charm.

It looks a little exaggerated, but that looks pretty much normal for some of the later 775 Mobos. I have seen it numerous times. It's ok.

Back