• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5K-E possible bent pins, not sure ... Computer reboots randomly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omni

Registered
I just received my WC'ing parts in the mail and had set them up, as part of the process for getting it setup, I was cleaning the excess thermal that spilled out when I installed the CPU the first time.

While I was cleaning the excess thermal I accidentally dragged a small tissue over the pins in the socket. I tried my best to correct them, and I thought I had corrected them, as the computer booted up normally and the chip was detected just fine. The problem I have is that the computer reboots when it just decides to. Sometimes it reboots after it gets past the JMicron hard drive detection, sometimes it reboots after 5 seconds, sometimes it reboots as vista is loading at the boot screen, and sometimes it reboots after 5 or 10 mins when vista is running. I hope its not the chip, but I suspect it may just be a problem with the seating on the P5K-E where the processor sits. I have electronic kits/tools as I am an engineering student, so I can probably fix, but I was pretty sure I had fixed the bent pins. Anyone have any thoughts ?

Check SIG for my computer setup.

Picture?

If your cameras close up pics aren't the best, try taking the picture through a magnifying glass

Did you get any thermal compound on, or around the socket by any chance?

I got a touch thermal compound around the socket(not where the pins are), no actual components are located on the side that got touched, so I cleaned it off w/ a ear bud cleaner. I just took the cpu out again, checked the pins, and they do look the way they are supposed to, no bent ones anymore as I reset them the way they should be, which is like a S spring shape of some kind. If I leave the computer off for a while and then boot it on, it will go for a longer time, but as soon as I stress test the computer w/ Prime95, after a few mins it will reboot. Right now I am running the computer at stock settings, I raised the vcore a bit just a bit more than stock to make sure there are no problems. It almost sounds like there is a "safety" thing thats shuting the computer down, but the temps are all really low due to water cooling, like 25*C. Does this also happen when the CPU is not getting the correct contacts w/ the board ? Or does the computer usually never get past post on these problems ?

I want to get this fixed, but I don't want to buy a new motherboard and processor, it will either be a new motherboard, which I think is the problem, or a new processor, but a downgraded one.

Run cpu at stock setting, set manually memory multiplier and memory voltage and see if it helps.

I had done some modifications to the PSU, removed a few connections I didn't need, it seems like one of the wires was catching the fan and preventing it from spinning, thus cooling the PSU. I knew it had something to do with heating cause everything was working fine before hand :) I just moved the wire and I am checking it now, I will let you know if that fixed it :D

That seems to have fixed it :D

Just goes to show you, that your first instinct, isn't always the right one, thanks for the help !!

Back