• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New setup. Need ur help picking RAM! Thx!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seanboltman

This is the main pieces to my new system. I just pulled the trigger on the MB and heatsink yesterday. I've listed my prices in case anyone cares (as I think I got great deals).

I am looking for a mild overclock. I have RAM now (4 x 1GB GSkill DDR2 800 CL5-5-5-15). It was a cheap buy months ago ($60 for 4gb), but because its low end ram I believe. Am I right?

Here is what I have for pieces:

Q9450 ($215 out the door, part of Frys $250 combo, returned motherboard)
ASUS P5Q Pro ($129 out the door, available now at NewEgg with coupon EMCAHBAAB)
Xigmatech HDT-S1283, with OCZ Freeze.

Video card is oc'd PNY 7900GT, but I am not targeting Video Card at this point.

I *think* the MB will take the RAM, at least 2GB of it (QVL list shows it doesn't support all 4GB in all 4 slots, for some reason).

Nonetheless, its not great RAM, so I am posting this question:

What is good RAM not astronomically priced that would work well in a mild overclock of the Q9450?

Thanks!!!

On the chance that I am right, and this MB will not allow me to use all 4 of these GSkill 1GB sticks I have, I will have to go buy something, and it will be 2x2GB.

So am I fine with decent DDR2-800? Or should I target a DDR2-1066

$80 G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
$104 G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

If I (thought) I could get 425/450 FSB, I should go with DDR2-1066?
Is there better choices than GSkill, yet at the same/close price?

Its been a while since I overclocked (P4 2.4c, 300-A before that), but I vaguely remember the concepts. I will be diving into some guides here on the Q9450 shortly, but my brief understanding is that it doesn't OC real well (due to low multiplier?), and I am not sure what the typical/expected FSB people are hitting on these (using air).

Anyways, again, thanks for the help.

Back