• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which motherboard for QX9650 and SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sws

Hi all, I just wanted to ask a quick question

I have this machine :
http://www.packardbell.co.uk/product...109101-43.html
ok link broke... its a PB X8880

I was seriously unhappy with the performance, which started off with under-performing ram (they call it a gaming machine, I should have returned it whilst I could)

Now though.. Im running two 8800GTX's in SLI
and also just added a Core 2 Extreme QX9650 and 4GB ram
Running on Vista Ultimate 64

I was actually amazed that the current motherboard supported it... its working well so far..but I couldnt find any reference to anybody running this processor on this board, they are normally all 6600's

Now then, the question....

The Packard bell bios is locked of Overclocking, so time to change that too..

What motherboard do you recommend to take best advantage of the QX9650 and SLI with a decent set of overclocking options, altough im not intending on pushing it too far.
I understand Im looking at the 780i / 790i chipsets, but any particular brand such as Asus / Gigabyte..

Ive read alot of bios problems and BSOD stuff, but people only generally post the bad things, Im looking for the positives on any particular boards..

Thanks in advance for any recommendations..

Last edited:
im partial to evga for nv chipset mbs.their lifetime warranty is hard to ignore.

Get the EVGA 750i FTW or 780i board, no need to get 790i unless your rig currently has DDR3. from your sig though you have DDR2...

stick with EVGA/XFX/BFG, much better support if something should happen to the mobo.

cheers for your advice... much appretiated that you guys took the time to have a read...

Theres only one thing putting me off EVGA...
Im in the UK and they dont have any UK contact numbers apart from what appears to be an 'L. Rossiters mobile number' whilst support in the US may be really good, I dont like the sound of having to call somebodies mobile +44 07971...

MSI however do have offices in the UK, but saying that.. if theres a problem with it to start with, then its going straight back to retailer..

Thats the problem when theres too much choice.

Back