• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rafterman223

I'm building a gaming computer which I plan to have either a $250-$300 quad-core CPU or duo (probably a duo due to clockspeeds and current usefulness). Either way, the chipsets are the same. My question is which chipset should I get for gaming performance (and why), and where can I find a site that actually sells these specific motherboards!

I'm looking at these chipsets on wiki in order of date released, and I'm seeing the P35 as the bare minimum to match my needs. After the P35 come theG35, Q35, X38, X48, P43, G43, the new hit P45, and G45. The P35 I see is a mainstream motherboard which had newer capabilities and general performance (DDR3), but is now basically obsolete when constructing a new gaming beast. After the P35, I saw nothing special or note-worth from the G35. Same with the Q35, only seems like a small upgrade from its predecessors. The X38 is a consideration with 1600 MHz support, if it has no significant drawbacks and a price difference from the June releases (which all have lower bus speed support, though I may not even need this boost). The X48 is really just an official X38. The P43 was the first with a 16 GB max memory, and I hear its basically just a P45 without support for CrossFire. What exactly does Dual PCIe 2.0 x8 support for CrossFire do? Does it help my gaming? If not, are there any other differences between the 43 and 45 because if not then why not just get a cheaper version of the 45? I'm not sure about G43.

Now can I get a debriefing on P45 and G45 and how their better then the others?

Which is the best for gaming? Does it just follow route in when they're released? Are there any new chipsets being released between now and 2009 spring?

The P45 is what really caught my eye.

Back