• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new ASUS P5Q Pro build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Craxbax

A friend just ordered a new system based around a Q9450/ASUS P5Q Pro that I will be building. My experience has been on Gigabyte P35 boards for my intel builds... so anything peculiar to Asus boards I should know. From the forums it seems that the Asus may actually be a little easier to OC but I have also heard that the new P45 chipsets don't OC as well. Anyone have any experience with the ASUS P5Q Pro and a Q9450? TIA

Additional info:
G.Skill PC8500 2gbx2
Xigmatek cooler
PCP&P 610
Zotac 8800 GT 512
Antec 900
Seagate 750gbx2 Raid1
Mulicard reader
22" Acer LCDx2
Samsug SATA DVDx2
XP pro

Last edited:
I love Asus boards but gigabyte's bios is much easier to use than Asus.Asus has tons of settings unlike Gigabytes .But once you get used to Asus 's bios you can usally get one heck of an OC out of them.And ive not heard of P45 boards being bad overclockers

Hi Crax,

I am in the same situation as you. I got a Q9450 recently, and reasearched (forever) on MB options. I was looking at the Gigabyte DSL3 P35 board but have heard about problem with losing overclocking settings, etc. I guess the F5 bios fixes that, but I didn't feel like testing the waters.

I have not heard anything bad about p45 overclocking, like you mention. In fact, its my understanding that the P45 is going to give you a better overclock on this Q9450.

Last firday I picked up the ASUS P5Q PRO from Newwegg ($129 out the door). I also have the HDT-S1283 cooler. I believe you said you had a Zigmatech as well.

My RAM is my downside. Lowend 4x1GB GSkill DDR-800 5-5-5-15. I am actually considering buying better ram (though I am told for a mild overclock, DDR-800 will be fine).

My MB and Xigmatech are due here Wed. SO I will be assembling Thu.
I have links to some Q9450/ASUS PRO/Deluxe overclocking guides if you are interested.

Are you going XP Pro, or XP Pro 64bit? Just curious, as I am going to try 64bit.

Thanks Sean...I am interested in the links. Yeah, the more I have read it seems the P45 is a good chipset for OCing 45mm chips and I only plan on a mild 3.4ghz or so OC so I am sure the P45 won't be a problem. The OS will be XP PRO 32bit. Let me know how your build and OC goes. I probably won't start on this until the weekend or even next week.

Back