• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X48 vs P45 and other stuff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rafterman223

I bet most of you have seen threads like this, but I have some specific questions.

In high-end tests and such I've seen that the X48 is suppose to have generally better crossfire results, a big difference for me since I'm building a gaming computer. The thing I'm confused about though is that I've also seen that crossfire is suppose to be more advanced on the P45 because "The P45 will get a new southbridge chip IICH10,and under xfire u will get 2x 8x-lanes" Also does the X48 have PCI Express 2.0 x16 and is its crossfire really better. I also heard that the P45 has 45nm building process while the X48 is just a redone X38 with 90nm. All I've been hearing is the X48 crossfire benefits and the P45 process (and possible crossfire or PCI) benefits. Can someone clear compare and contrast these two in every way they can think of? Which is better for a high-end gaming computer with high quality dual video cards and a duo cpu?

Also, I have been hearding about a X58 coming out later this year in the 45nm process with definite heights of the P45. I'm not buying my components untill Christmas, so what new intel motherboards (core 2?) are coming out and when. I've also been hearing about a new CPU line for these new MB's called nethelean or something. What are the details of this and its relation to the motherboards?

Is that all you wanna know?:p

Ok, well the X38 is being discontinued in favor of the X48. The X48 is basically the X38, just certified for 1600mhz bus speed. The X48 has 2 full 16 speed PCIE slots....a good thing to have for crossfire. The P45 is the successor to the P35, and is not the top tier chipset, strictly speaking, that would be the X48. The P45 looks good on paper, but I have had it with mine. I am settling for X48. Nehalem will be out in Q4 of this year, but only the more expensive ($300+) quads at first. The X58 mobo for this chip will have a limited northbridge, since there is no more FSB.

To the point:

P45=cheaper but problematic, at least for me.
X38=likely discontinued
X48 expensive but stable, mature, and better for Xfire

If you do not need allot of bells and whistles, check out the P5E Deluxe.

Is that all you wanna know?:p

Ok, well the X38 is being discontinued in favor of the X48. The X48 is basically the X38, just certified for 1600mhz bus speed. The X48 has 2 full 16 speed PCIE slots....a good thing to have for crossfire. The P45 is the successor to the P35, and is not the top tier chipset, strictly speaking, that would be the X48. The P45 looks good on paper, but I have had it with mine. I am settling for X48. Nehalem will be out in Q4 of this year, but only the more expensive ($300+) quads at first. The X58 mobo for this chip will have a limited northbridge, since there is no more FSB.

To the point:

P45=cheaper but problematic, at least for me.
X38=likely discontinued
X48 expensive but stable, mature, and better for Xfire

If you do not need allot of bells and whistles, check out the P5E Deluxe.

Looks like the X48 might be the more stable, mature chipset even if you are NOT running crossfire? Would you agree with that?

I have tried a P45 board this week, not thrilled, plan to just use one video card only. Several reviews have stated that the P45 has lower i/o for USB, etc.

Which X48 board are you going with?

yes, the P5E is a very godo board. the P5E deluxe, i believe is the X48 chipset version of the origianl P5E (X38). althought, if you're a gamer and overclcoker, it does not have temperature readings for northbridge and southbridge.

yes, the P5E is a very godo board. the P5E deluxe, i believe is the X48 chipset version of the origianl P5E (X38). althought, if you're a gamer and overclcoker, it does not have temperature readings for northbridge and southbridge.

What does have temperature readings in this class of board?

I just spent about 5 days with the P5Q Deluxe, Ultra 120 and E6600 I had. I found the P5Q Deluxe ok but a little "quirky". It liked locking up in CMOS, I had to pull the USB keyboard and put it back in a bunch of times due to freezing, and it got into an "undefined" video state a few times that my monitor had to be powered off to recover from. I realize that this board was not made to run an E6600, but it did so at 8 x 430 and 9 x 390 ok.

So, what is the best right now in the Intel world, DDR2 or DDR3-based?

The P45's feel a little held back, even though they are supposed to be "optimized for 45nm", they do not feel like speed demons.

What is the best mobo to get you through to Nehalem?

X58 is for neha, i would go X38 or X48 if your after CF. if you can live with a single card then go P45.

Nehalem is a socket change, and will be Intel's first chip with an integrated memory controller (like AMD's chips are now). The X58 will be the first chipset for Nehalem. I would expect the first Nehalem chips to be ~$900 US retail, and I'm guessing the boards will be over $300 US, to start.

I think it's been said that the lowest end of the first Nehalem chips will be at the 300ish price.

OP: +1 for Evilsizer's comment. x38/x48 for dual cards, P45 for single. Since you'll be doing your shopping around Christmas time, prices for both should drop nicely.

i missed the op is waiting that long... i would put lots away for then, since neha will be out before chrismas most likly. just go straight to neha, getting decent DDR3 ram isnt that bad. i mean for 2gigs of some DDR3-1333 is or about the same price as the 2gig DDR2-800 kit i got last summer, around $250ish, which imo isnt bad. we are just use to seeing DDR2 at rock bottom prices now for 2gig and 4gig kits.

I think it depends on his budget. At Christmas time Nehalem chips and boards will still be pretty expensive, while the older chips will drop in price. It might make more sense to pick up a DDR3 x38/x48 board, and a nicely priced LGA775 chip and mobo, and then upgrade 6 months to a year later once prices look good for Nehalem. Of course, if he has the money to spend though, I would defintiely go for Nehalem right off the bat.

What about overclocking potential between the two. I have the x48t-dq6 and am wondering if there is any differences between overclocking on these two chipsets. I have a friend with the ga-ep45t-extreme, i have a 4870x2 and he has 2x4870. he might benefit from the 16x crossfire lanes, so he wants to swap, but my concern is the overclocking headroom between these two chipsets.

x38/x48 for ocing dual core to the extreme max
P45 for ocing 45nm quad cores to the extreme max.

now if we talk just air/water ocing results both will be the same as the limit is the cpu more then the board with this type of cooling. which is why depending on the CPU you will see WR's for say dual core or quad core on corresponding chipset.

if your gaming below 1920x1200 then P45 will be more then enough for a CF setup. if you gaming at res's over that then X38/X48 is the way to go. if you plan to add another X2 then stick with the X48. otherwise P45 is find if your going to stick with the one X2 card.

Back