• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5E Deluxe X48

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stilletto

Finally, back at 4Ghz! After wasting time with the new P45 chipsets I was about to RMA my CPU, or at least try....the P45 would not get me past 3.7 on any VCore with a previous 4.0ghz stable OC at 1.368v. Now, with this budget X48 Mobo I am back at 4ghz at 1.37. No, it doesn't have individual sensors for the NB and SB, but those are really unnecessary most of the time. It only has 1 LAN, but who really uses 2 anyhow? It also has Vdroop, pretty bad, but that may be fixed with a BIOS update. So far, I am impressed! And this is with simple GSkill 800Mhz memory.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,087
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,051
nice clock for sure on the cpu... not sure on the ram since im lost to if its DDR2 or DDR3.

nice clock for sure on the cpu... not sure on the ram since im lost to if its DDR2 or DDR3.

It's DDR2. See, in the screenshot, it says DDR2//:D LOL

Keep in mind this is the 24/7 clocks., 12+hour Prime Stable. I could push it to the max if yall really wanted:beer:

Nice... I've been looking for a different mobo to possibly grab for my E8400. Nice to see such positive results.

sometimes you just ever know... i was left confused by the pic and your sig.. :p

Finally, back at 4Ghz! After wasting time with the new P45 chipsets I was about to RMA my CPU, or at least try....the P45 would not get me past 3.7 on any VCore with a previous 4.0ghz stable OC at 1.368v. Now, with this budget X48 Mobo I am back at 4ghz at 1.37. No, it doesn't have individual sensors for the NB and SB, but those are really unnecessary most of the time. It only has 1 LAN, but who really uses 2 anyhow? It also has Vdroop, pretty bad, but that may be fixed with a BIOS update. So far, I am impressed! And this is with simple GSkill 800Mhz memory.

This clock has gone to hell, thanks to a degraded CPU.

Now, with a fresh 8500, I am suffering from SERIOUS VDROOP!!!!! Geez, I hope they release a BIOS update soon...its like the LLC doesn't work at all. I have had vdroop before, but this is ridiculous....it's about .04v. Inother words, from 1.38 at idle it goes to 1.34 under load. This means that to run my CPU at it's max vcore of 1.365 it will have to run at 1.4 at idle. This is RIDICULOUS!!!!!

How did you measure the vSpike?

I didn't have to measure it, it was obvious from monitoring CPU-Z. The board had the opposite of vdroop...the voltage would increase under load. I dunno what else to call it, so I dubbed it vSpike....sounded better than vErection or vStiffining, or whatever the technical opposite of droop is:p

I didn't have to measure it, it was obvious from monitoring CPU-Z. The board had the opposite of vdroop...the voltage would increase under load. I dunno what else to call it, so I dubbed it vSpike....sounded better than vErection or vStiffining, or whatever the technical opposite of droop is:p

That is not uncommon for boards with LLC, I see it all the time with Asus and Gigabyte boards, in fact that is actually suppose to happen, LLC corrects the v-drop you see taking place (vdrop = bios voltage - CPUz voltage under idle) and increases the voltage to what you set it in the Bios, so it is not vSpike that damaged your CPU

That is not uncommon for boards with LLC, I see it all the time with Asus and Gigabyte boards, in fact that is actually suppose to happen, LLC corrects the v-drop you see taking place (vdrop = bios voltage - CPUz voltage under idle) and increases the voltage to what you set it in the Bios, so it is not vSpike that damaged your CPU

Sorry, but for me that is VERY uncommon (so uncommon in fact that I have never witnessed it at this magnitude except for the TWO P45 boards I have owned), and from all the boards I have owned, LLC HELPED vdroop, but it was not completely eliminated. (I daresay that I have owned almost as many boards as you:p)

In fact, at idle the vCore was at 1.387 for my 4.0ghz clock. Under load, this would increase to 1.4+, and this is just too much....after weeks of this, I was unable to obtain a stable 4ghz clock at all.

EDIT: And, it looks like I will be owning another if I can't get this vDroop issue sorted out....I refuse to degrade another perfectly crappy overclocking CPU :)

EDIT: I just re-read your definition of vDroop. That is not what vDroop is, vDroop is the CPU Voltage at Idle-CPU Voltage under load. You are referring to over or undervolting, I believe.

Last edited:
So stilllettio you really like your p5e deluxe yea? Should i buy that one or the rampage formula one...i noticed they have the same PCB, the rampage one comes with that lcd thingie and the reset/power switches? Worth the extra 100$?

thanx for the answer and sorry for ninjaing your thread :p

ps - nice avatar :)

So stilllettio you really like your p5e deluxe yea? Should i buy that one or the rampage formula one...i noticed they have the same PCB, the rampage one comes with that lcd thingie and the reset/power switches? Worth the extra 100$?

thanx for the answer and sorry for ninjaing your thread :p

ps - nice avatar :)

I like the P5E Deluxe, but the vDroop is HORRIBLE. I would do some research to see if the rampage suffers the same problem. Although if you are not intending on overclocking a fair bit, it won't matter.

Yea, GnR Ruled for a time:attn:

EDIT: I just re-read your definition of vDroop. That is not what vDroop is, vDroop is the CPU Voltage at Idle-CPU Voltage under load. You are referring to over or undervolting, I believe.

I think you are confusing v-droop with v-drop, I was refering to the latter. V-drop is the drop in v-core from your setting in the Bios to what you actually see under idle in CPU-z. V-droop is the drop in voltage from idle to load. LLC attempts to correct the v-drop hence the increase in voltage you see going from idle to load. LLC also prevents v-droop so the v-core does not deviate further from the v-core set in Bios. Hope this clears up the confusion.

Well, thats sorta what I was getting at...I had no problems with vdrop, it was the vspike that did my CPU in. I don't know where vdrop came from?
LLC was specifically developed to address vdroop.

From ASUS:

I found an option named "Loadline Calibration" in BIOS without knowing what this function does.
Can you please kindly help to explain the what this option does?

This option is used to ensure the CPU supplied voltage does not drop during high CPU load.
CPU supply voltage normally drops when current consumption is high, to ensure the power consumption and heat dissipation of the CPU does not exceed the recommended value as suggested by CPU makers.

Enabling this option can help to enhance overall CPU stability under heavy load while the CPU has been heavily overclocked, hence also mean the enhancement of overall CPU overclock capability.

Back