• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP WITH OC"ING XFX 780i mobo (e8400)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v4r4nus

Registered
hi all!
i need a walkthrough/step by step on how to overclock this board with this chip.
xfx 780i tri-sli mobo + e8400
other specs (2 9800gtx BE ) sli mode
4 GB ram
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!
just need any help/ info on getting my proc. to get around 4.0 GHz on after market heatsink fan (arctic cooler 7). any info helps---step by step appreciated.

Man, I really hate to say this but you may not be able to clock to 4ghz with that board. It might give you solid clocks up to a point, but the fsb stability and other issues when ocing nvidia boards are the main reason so many people went crossfire or the gx2 route.

There is nothing wrong with the 780i unless you have a defective board, you will be able to clock that E8400 on that board in no time, i could get to 4.5Ghz stable with several 780i's and many Wolfdales, so do not be discouraged at all

Start with setting FSB at 1800 Nhz, multi at 9, RAM linked, disable EIST and C1E, leave all voltages at auto except v-core, set that at 1.45 to start with and set vRAM at your default RAM, leave RAM timings on auto so it picks up SPD timings

If you need more detail on the above post here or PM me, I would be most happy to help you, also do the pencil v-droop mod and you will have rock stable voltage across your CPU

Link to v-droop mod (the server is down over at XS, please try again later)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154897&page=5

There is nothing wrong with the 780i unless you have a defective board, you will be able to clock that E8400 on that board in no time, i could get to 4.5Ghz stable with several 780i's and many Wolfdales, so do not be discouraged at all

Start with setting FSB at 1800 Nhz, multi at 9, RAM linked, disable EIST and C1E, leave all voltages at auto except v-core, set that at 1.45 to start with and set vRAM at your default RAM, leave RAM timings on auto so it picks up SPD timings

If you need more detail on the above post here or PM me, I would be most happy to help you, also do the pencil v-droop mod and you will have rock stable voltage across your CPU

Link to v-droop mod (the server is down over at XS, please try again later)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154897&page=5

Sry..i remain skeptical. 4.5ghz stable on nvidia chipset....why do you choose Intel for yourself?

ive tested mine up to 535 fsb.the 780i has no issues ocing dualcores at all.it doesnt oc quads as well but ive been able to hit 475fsb with a q6600/q6700.like Brollocks said,unless his mb is defective the OP wont have any problems topping that wolfie out.

Last edited:
ery nice work, indeed. But I believe that the OP was looking for 24/7 stability, not benchmarking runs. That is the difference I was talking about.

ery nice work, indeed. But I believe that the OP was looking for 24/7 stability, not benchmarking runs. That is the difference I was talking about.

I think the OP will be happy with 4 Ghz on 24/7 if you can bench at 4.6, don't you think:shrug:

Stable is a very relative term, especially around here ;)

I took an E8500 to 4 GHz on the EVGA 780i with stock HSF and have 24/7 stability.

I didn't even step and have good temps (don't remember them off the top of my head).

I took an E8500 to 4 GHz on the EVGA 780i with stock HSF and have 24/7 stability.

I didn't even step and have good temps (don't remember them off the top of my head).

Nice, the board is real easy to use especially with Wolfdales, quads are not that easy though, takes much more tweaking

Back