• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OVerclocked but surfing the net is slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznboi64

I tried overclocking the first time with my celly 600 to 675mhz 9x75. But once I did that I tried surfing and the pages load up slow. I set it back to 600mhz and it gets the pages fast. Am I doing it wrong. Could it be my pci/clk because my MB *Abit BE6* when I change fsb the pci/clk changes with the FSB. So instead of pci/clk 1/3 its 1/2. Or could it be HD?

sounds like a problem with your NIC card

overclocking can cause packet loss among other things

i think you answereed your own question, when you set it at default it does fine

I If you thing your hadrive is giving your Problems, i would set the bus back to default, and scan for errors....
When all erros fixed (if any) run at your overclocked speed again.....
After a while, look for errors in the hardrive again (scandisk or whatever you like better)

If you hardrive doesnt like tha higer PCI speed, not good.... it may be your hardrive after all, more testing needed.

Odds are its your NIC. NIC's have a high rate of craping out when running out of spec.

@ 66 FSB your PCI clock should be 1/2
@ 100, 1/3
@ 133, 1/4

the goal is to have your PCI bus running as close to 33MHz as
SPEC
you can. So 66 x 1/2 = 33.3 = good. 66 x 1/3 = 22 = too slow
Overclocked
75x 1/2 = 37.5, close. 75 x 1/3 = 25, 1/2 is better
Get it?

Most hardware will run fine with a PCI bus of 37.5...
Its the 40's that give most people trouble....
But NIC's are picky.

jay - thankx for the big help. I'm at 9x100mhz = 902mhz and at 1/3 pci/clk. its a bit better now.

I had a software modem that acted like that, at high FSB settings everyting would be very slow and all i ended up with were idea's that led no-where [and this may be another] :) but after a hardware modem was installed everything became zippy again.

aznboi64 do you have another NIC to try? It would be a shame to lose a overclock becuase a simple NIC is holding you back.

Well I have a kingston one. But I'll try my other nics this week.

I just changed my nic and everything is great. Running at 9x100fsb =901mhz *don't ask me why its like that*. I changed my kingston to a pheobe nic. Who knew a crappy brand like that makes a difference. Anywayz thanks for the help fellas.

Soil - why yes the nic I'm using is a realtek. maybe you can help me out now. My computer froze on me and basically had to reinstall everything. While I was at it why not upgrade to 2k. Which I am on now. But the realtek installation disc doesn't have win2k driver?

aznboi64 said:
Soil - why yes the nic I'm using is a realtek. maybe you can help me out now. My computer froze on me and basically had to reinstall everything. While I was at it why not upgrade to 2k. Which I am on now. But the realtek installation disc doesn't have win2k driver?

Win2K should update the driver automatically if not use their site, navigate and look for the lastest drivers.

there are numerous Realtek LAN card in the market with different brands and mine is Buffalo and WinXP apparently identify by brand (forgot Win2000) and I didn't check whether WinXP has built-in Realtek reference driver or not. I went to realtek.com.tw and found the driver. I FELT it's a bit faster than XP's buffalo driver but also a bit less friendly to o/c.

got the link, but please check the number of the Realtek chipset,

http://www.realtek.com.tw/htm/download/level.asp?class1=communication

Last edited:
Alright after a couple of tests. Yes it is my pci divider thats causing all the trouble. I can't go at higher fsb at the risk of losing net speed. Is there anything I can do? When I go anything higher than 83fsb the pci/clk is locked and goes to 1/3. I have the Be6 w/realtek nic. I know I should try to get near 33mhz for the pci but its not going to happen.

Back