• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing EDO with PC133 in a Pentium 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itchie

I have a Pentium 1 166 mhz with 32 mb of edo ram (2 sticks of 16 mb). I took out a 64 mb stick of pc133 from another computer and I put it in my P1. But the P1 won't recognize it as 64 mb, instead it says I have 48 mb of ram which means that the computer thinks my 64 mb stick is a 16 mb stick. And Windows 98 will lock up at least once every 10 minutes and I'll get a blue screen about once a minute. Btw this computer is not overclocked.

If I take out the edo ram and boot the computer with only my 64 mb stick then it says that I have only 16 mb of ram, so it still won't recognize it as a 64 mb stick.

Has anyone else tried putting PC133 ram in a P1, and if so do I need to take out the EDO ram or can I mix PC133 with EDO? I'm assuming the PC133 would not run at 133 mhz but I don't care. What I want is to be able to leave the 32 mb of edo ram in there and add the 64 mb of pc133 ram and then I'll have 96 mb ram altogether.

And I know for sure there's nothing wrong with the 64 mb stick because it works fine in my other computer.

had the same problems with my really old pc. i think thats the limitation of the mainboard itself. they could only utilize upto 16megs of mem.

Somone correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that EDO ram had to be replaced or upgraded in pairs IE: 32 megs EDO ram is 2 dims of 16 megs and 64 megs is 2 dimms of 32 megs and so on.
Randy

Randy said:
Somone correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that EDO ram had to be replaced or upgraded in pairs IE: 32 megs EDO ram is 2 dims of 16 megs and 64 megs is 2 dimms of 32 megs and so on.
Randy
you would be correct, its just like rdram
do you really live out in woolley? lol i live in burlington :)
thats freaky finding someone on here thats so close :p

So, my choices are:

1) Leave the 2 edo dimms and add the 64 mb pc133 and then I'll have 48 megs total ram and a system which crashes every five minutes

2) Take out the 2 edo dimms and put in the 64 pc133 and then I'll have a system with 16 megs of ram.

3) Leave the 2 edo dimms in there and don't put the 64 meg stick in, then I'll have a stable system with 32 megs of ram which is still good enough for internet browsing which is all I use that computer for anyways. I can add the 64 meg stick to my other computer which already has 256 megs of ram, then it'll have 320 mb.

4) Buy more edo dimms (EDO ram costs more than PC133 ram if I'm not mistaken).

I like number 3 the best.

And this is just a guess, but would upgrading my bios overcome the motherboard's limitation of not being able to recognize sticks of ram larger than 16 mb?

I think a BIOS update would solve the problem. My spare computer can't even run DIMM's, I can only run 72 pin SIMM's with it. But, it has no problem with 160 megs of memory.

Back