• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick a mobo for Q9300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom10167

I know these don't OC very well so I plan on making a thread for quality RAM.

Things:

Good to great OC'er
absolutely need at least 8 SATA ports. I don't care if they're 150 or 300
Absolutely no cf or SLI wanted.
DDR2 100%
No concerns for RAID
Under $200 would be really awesome.

I tried filtering through Newegg but there are HUNDREDS of mobos and you can't really filter by DDR2 it wants the mfr. posted speed so it narrows it down too much.

Also, if any of these things have some type of infared or radio receiver -- I may eventually hook up a remote but this is not critical.

You should go for a P45 of X48 motherboard, as they seem to have better support for the 45nm processors. I also have a Q9300, currently w/ a P5K-E, and its an okay board, but not that great for OC'ing.

I am still trying to decide between 3 boards:

P5Q-E which goes for around $180
P5E Deluxe which goes for around $220 (This board is new, so its hard to find as its a DDR2 version of the P5E3 Deluxe)
Asus Rampage which goes for around $320

I am leaning towards the Asus Rampage, as it has alot of options for OC'ing, but since you appear to be on a budget, I would say P5Q-E :)

Check out Newegg's open box stuff, they have a lot of those insanely priced Asus motherboards for sometimes $100+ less! :)

Anyways, I hope you know what you're talking about, because I can't wait any longer. :D

Asus P5Q/P5Q-E/P5Q-Pro are boards i would suggest. the pro being the more costly or it was the -E at $159 at newegg.

*edit*
looks like need to update threads more often.. :p

Back