• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5E pencil mod/ Vdrop and Vdroop difference/importance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich'[ard]

hi all
i own a P5E, and i have notcied there is a big difference between my load and idle voltages (can be seen when using Prime 95).
i have NOT used/done a pencil mod, so i searched it up on google, and found there was a difference between vdrop and vdroop. i've always mistaken these two as the same thing, often just not noticing that they were different terms.

to clarify
vdrop is the natural drop from mobo to cpu
vdroop is the voltage difference between load and idle.

so i would like to ask, which would the pencil mod benefit, the vdroop or vdrop?
my vdrop difference is (1.33v in BIOS, 1.296v in CPU-Z) and vdroop difference is (1.296v idle and 1.272v load 100%)

thanks all.

When I did the pencil mod on my ol' p5k-E, it was for the vdroop. So I'm gonna say the benefit will be a stable vdroop, which is more important having a stable/steady voltage current.
I wouldn't be too concerned with the vdrop. It seems that it pertains to a reading of a sensor/software.

I had a vanilla p5k and did the vdroop mod. It helped my oc a lot (higher oc and lower temps).

I don't see the point in doing vdrop mod, if there even is one (as you can simply adjust in the bios to a higher vcore).

ahh, are ok. when i up the voltage to 1.375 in BIOS, it drops to 1.325 in load state, so i was feeling kind of worried that that was a huge jump.

also another question:
is the real voltage setting what i see in BIOS or Windows? because say if the limit for my chip is 1.5v ( for eg.) and i set it to 1.55v in BIOS and then goes down to 1.48v in windows, i'd be damaging my chip if i went past 1.55v but i'd still be under the limit if i was on 1.48v <--- all voltage values were for example only*

You would get a "real" voltage reading from the bios or software.. You have to measure it with a dmm and the voltage read points on the mb..
I don't think it would damage it in the short run at 1.55. I ran my 6400 up to 1.65, although on water, just have to watch the temp. Running at 1.55, at a higher temp, wouldn't be real good. 6400's are pretty tough chips.

That would be fine as long as your temps are ok, but you might want to shoot for lower voltage for air cooling and 24/7.

That would be fine as long as your temps are ok, but you might want to shoot for lower voltage for air cooling and 24/7.

yeah, i'm sure my temps are ok. 20 c for idle and 25 c for load. voltage for non-gaming is 1.325 (not Prime95 stable) and when i'm gaming i switch BIOS profile and voltage is 1.375 (prime 95 stable). i do this coz i only game a few times every month.

so my vdrop and vdroop isn't that bad? when i'm on 1.375v vcore, my vdroop is more apparent, (load is 1.325v and idle is 1.375). thta's .05v of a difference.:confused:

Back