• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking challenge!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v4r4nus

Registered
:beer:
hi all.
i just ordered a new pc from newegg.com i want to overclock my new baby when it gets here but im a n00b. specs are as follows:

xfx 780i tri-sli mobo
e8400
4GB mushkin ddr2 800
2 xfx 9800 gtx's in sli

anyway i have no clue what bios i will have with it or which bios is the best for this board for OC'ing.

so basically someone help me OVERCLOCK THIS BABY!!!!!!!!
im really a n00b. when it comes to overclocking. so step by step procedures would be awesome!!!!!!!!

There will be no "step by step" guide to overclocking. It is completely trial and error (this is what makes overclocking fun and challenging). Each piece of hardware is different, even if they came off the assembly line one after another. We can give suggestions, but there will be no settings that "just work".

That being said, I would suggest looking over this these threads to familiarize yourself with the basics to overclocking:
Overclocking Guide
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals)
Guidelines for Thorough Stability Testing

I'd also suggest reading over some threads about your 780i, here is a good one, check out Brolloks post:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=570280

If you stay below 450 FSB (1800 FSB as per your board) it is realtively simple to OC the E8400, follow my quick recipe and LMK how it goes:

• Set FSB at 1800 Nhz,
  • set multi at 9,
  • leave RAM at "linked",
  • disable EIST and C1E,
  • leave all voltages at auto except v-core,
  • set v-core 1.45v to start with
  • set vRAM at your default RAM voltage,
  • leave RAM timings on auto so it picks up SPD timings

Bear in mind that Brollocks really likes voltage, 1.45v may or may not be safe for an E8400 long term :) Might not even be needed to hit those speeds.

:beer:

1.3652 is often quoted as the maximum 24/7 voltage for 45nm chips.

Unfortunately, that voltage also limits the OC severely. (3.84Ghz for mine.)

1.3652 is often quoted as the maximum 24/7 voltage for 45nm chips.

Unfortunately, that voltage also limits the OC severely. (3.84Ghz for mine.)

4ghz on that voltage here :) just barely though after vdroop.

Back