• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad-core Mobo for Linux,Virtualization, OCing, CAD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TangoGrandma

Registered
Hey all!

I'm back from a LONG hiatus, and I need some advice/help from my friends here on oC forums on choosing a rocking bare-bones Q*** quad-core OC-capable stable mobo.
OC'ing would be a nice option, which is why I'm posting this HERE vs. some other forums!

It has been so long since I've tinkered with gear that I"m a n00b again, with the new chipsets, etc (x35+ is good from what I understand)...

I'll be using the rig for:
Virtualization apps via SUSE11 or Ubuntu8 as the primary OS, running
mostly CAD based work, (sometimes some *cough cough* FPS games *cough*-run natively in XP though, of course)
...I don't need RAID or anything fancy on-the-board- the fewer bells and whistles (drivers) the better-
1) firewire is nice, USB of course is important...
2) 100/1000 networking is about all that is necessary (maybe best to stick to PCIe cards for linux drivers?)...

I'm a big fan of DFI, but their new boards (x48) are a bit steep in price.
(I'm currently running an AMDx2-64 4400+ DFI LP4 Ultra-D s939 modded for SLI and 4gb cl2 patriot ddr400)...

Maybe a Quads and Q***'s are not the best system for OC'ing.... I want the quad core option, due to the apps I'm running and the virtualization situation. HOWEVER, Mostly I need
the most STABLE Quad-core system (with OC options perhaps) that people who have PUSHED THE LIMITS on the mobos would recommend, from my peers and fellow pros.

I've got about $800USD or 500EU to get a mobo, cpu and maybe 2-4gb of ram, so 2nd-gen might be it for now.... (used and abused!).

So what would YOU recommend?????

Thanks in advance!
(-from an old dog who needs to learn some new tricks)

Last edited:
+1 for P45 & q9450, I'm very pleased with this setup. haven't installed linux yet since all the OCing tools are for windows, but have been running various *nix OSs in VirtualBox and XP in VPC2007 (under vista 64). Go full screen and you won't even know you're virtualized. I don't do any CAD, but man does this CPU chew through code when compiling, even compared to my 2x dual-core Opteron rig. Great development system.

Back