• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Maximus II or Rampage Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VeeMon

i will be sporting 2 4850 and a Q6600 but from reviews beyond 1920x1200 is where x48 are better but for ocing and 1920x1200 and under the p45 are better? so im not sure which board to get

x48 has 16x for both channels, P45 has x8 for both channels, thats probably why they say 1920x1200 and under due to the x8. I would go for an x48 if you are getting a new board, simply because the price really isn't that much more when you compare the boards and from reviews and comments by ppl who have a x48 it seems to OC better.

P45 boards are great for Ocing all types of CPU's, runs x-fire with dual x8 lanes just as well, no reason why you should not get one, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the chipset. I have two P45 boards (Asus P5Q3 and Gigabyte EP45-DS3R) and they both run great.

P45 boards are great for Ocing all types of CPU's, runs x-fire with dual x8 lanes just as well, no reason why you should not get one, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the chipset. I have two P45 boards (Asus P5Q3 and Gigabyte EP45-DS3R) and they both run great.

Give it a while:beer:

I sold my P5Q3 due to issues, and I have another P5Q Deluxe that's also starting to act weird....I posted a review a while back that explains some of it. And BTW, if you have or are planning on getting Raptors, that's another reason to overlook this immature chipset.

Give it a while:beer:

I sold my P5Q3 due to issues, and I have another P5Q Deluxe that's also starting to act weird....I posted a review a while back that explains some of it. And BTW, if you have or are planning on getting Raptors, that's another reason to overlook this immature chipset.

Link to the review, thanks...what issues did you see?, I believe people have some raid issues, fortunately I'm not a big raid fan.

Of the two I would vote for the rampage...but then again I am really bias to mine :D...

But instead of looking at a DDR2 P45/X48 chipset board...you might really want to think DDR3...

The rampage will have the Rampage Extreme out within hopefully the next few weeks and you also have the P5Q3

So if you like both of those boards in DDR2...look at the DDR3 versions...DDR2 is dying pretty fast...better to upgrade the right way now instead of in a month or two later...

Personally...I am going to be looking at the rampage extreme very intensely when it comes out...and if its anything like the rampage I have now...I will be going DDR3 within the next 45 days or so after its release (always wait for the bugs to show before buying new ;) )

Just something to think about...

anyhow xD it was decided i go with the rampage and 4gb of gskill as it should last me 3-4 yr base on what im currently using app/game wise and from then ill upgrade again

Just got my Rampage, would have to say, you made a good choice :) I am finding it to be a very solid and well built board :D

Link to the review, thanks...what issues did you see?, I believe people have some raid issues, fortunately I'm not a big raid fan.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=565818

Actually, it all started off great....but over the course of a couple weeks, the situation started to go south...I did not post all (or even that many) of the problems I ran into, as they were many and occurred after I had posted the testing. But, likely the most serious, was the hard-drive issues that are occuring, namely a conflict between raptors (of any size, kind) and this board, and this includes a few different vendors, not just Asus. The P5Q3 and the P5Q were terrible overclockers, even with BIOS updates, and I believe they were "indirectly" responsible for my CPU degrading, since I was pumping more voltage through it trying to get it stable.
I am sure that it is possible that I got two, crappy boards, but that is unlikely.
In the future, the P45 may be a good choice for some when the bugs are worked out, but in the future we will have the x58 and the like, anyways:beer:

All in all, I would wait

I have had my Maximus II Formula for a few weeks now and no problems what so ever!! I don't run raid at the moment so as for that i can not say. As for over clocking my Maximus II is outstanding. Have my Q9450 at 3.8 1.31v prime stable.. This is my first asus board and my first dealing with intel chipset and i could not be happier..Just my 2 cents worth..

So if you like both of those boards in DDR2...look at the DDR3 versions...DDR2 is dying pretty fast...better to upgrade the right way now instead of in a month or two later...

I would have to disagree with that statement. DDR3 is still a ways from becoming even remotely mainstream and is currently only used in high end boards. DDR3 wont be replacing DDR2 in mainstream applications until Intel's next socket is released and DDR3 prices really fall. As of now DDR2 is so much cheaper and the performance increase of DDR3 is negligible. It really doesn't make sense to go DDR3 unless you need to have the absolute best of the best.

I am having difficulty deciding as well because the Rampage is only $20 more than the Maximus II. This new build is soley for benching and gaming. I am looking at these 2 boards mainly because I have plenty of good ddr2 to kill, and I'm not sure my wallet can burden a new board and a few sets of ddr3. Also, the p35 I have just isn't going to cut it for crossfire.
I really think the Rampage is the way to go, unless anyone has a definitive argument against it.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=565818

Actually, it all started off great....but over the course of a couple weeks, the situation started to go south...I did not post all (or even that many) of the problems I ran into, as they were many and occurred after I had posted the testing. But, likely the most serious, was the hard-drive issues that are occuring, namely a conflict between raptors (of any size, kind) and this board, and this includes a few different vendors, not just Asus. The P5Q3 and the P5Q were terrible overclockers, even with BIOS updates, and I believe they were "indirectly" responsible for my CPU degrading, since I was pumping more voltage through it trying to get it stable.
I am sure that it is possible that I got two, crappy boards, but that is unlikely.
In the future, the P45 may be a good choice for some when the bugs are worked out, but in the future we will have the x58 and the like, anyways:beer:

All in all, I would wait

Well, I agree with you, the P5Q3 is just a terrible board, could not run DDR3 even close to deafult 1600 sppeds, not to talk about timing, my P5Q deluxe was great in comparison, going to try out the Maximus II Formula this week and let you know. It appears that Intel's 1st revision of the P45 boards are weak on the chipset and results in poor RAM OC and oevral stabiliby, some RAM works fine (G-skill) while most OCZ's take a lot of work. i could get my quad stable at 4.25 and RAM at 1400 7-7-7-20 for a day and then it started to bum out:confused:

Back