• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5B, ok for gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frogbones

I have a Asus P5B, chipset P965 mobo. It's little over a year old.....is this a good mobo for gaming? I will fit it with a 8800GTS 512 (g92). I have a C2D 6400. IF I were to upgrade processer witch one would best fit it..do I need to upgrade CPU? It says system bus is 1066/800/533.....

any advice?

Overclock the cpu and video card. That will give a nice boost for gaming also. Also, I would recommend having 2 gigs of ram if you don't already.

i would watch out about overclocking with voltages though esp with a quad. One of my FEts blew and left a smoldering quarter size hole in my board...but thats what warrentys for!

(il try to dredge up a picture of it...)

I read the e8400's kick butt on the board. Don't know from experience though..
I just built a p5b-deluxe wifi with a e6750 and a his3870, for a friend, and he is very happy playing WOW with the eye candy goin' on.

Does the board support 45nm CPUs? I thought P65 didn't support the 45nm though I could be wrong, might just need a BIOs update.

The newer CPUs use 1333 FSB bus, which according to the OP the board only supports up to 1066.

Even if it can't take 45nm CPUs the Q6600/Q6700 are 65nm Quads and are definetly supported, and would be a good upgrade, that is if your requirments call for a quad core.

Does the board support 45nm CPUs? I thought P65 didn't support the 45nm though I could be wrong, might just need a BIOs update.

The newer CPUs use 1333 FSB bus, which according to the OP the board only supports up to 1066.

Even if it can't take 45nm CPUs the Q6600/Q6700 are 65nm Quads and are definetly supported, and would be a good upgrade, that is if your requirments call for a quad core.

yep it supports wolfdales after bios 1803(need to update mine).amazingly it supports 45nm quads as well.i was also under the impression asus had abondoned the poor 965 chipset...its nice to see they havent.

Yes, I still use my P5B. My E8400 runs fine at 4GHz (goes above 4.2 for benching). I have a P5E as well but the P5B has not let me down or been overshadowed by the P5E.

I'm really struggling to justify any more upgrades. Having said that, I am looking (just looking) at a 4870 xfire/DDR3 setup but am slightly concerned about ASUS P45 ram issues.

Last edited:
Back