• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Found this while digging through parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
P1. Socket 7, to be exact, so it should theoretically support up through at least some of the AMD K6-series as well, depending on what sort of voltage options it has.

With a few NICs it might make an OK router, although it might not really be worth it over a $40 D-Link or the like, when you take power consumption into account.

Just remember it'll only cache 64mb RAM, so putting any more than that'll just make it run slow[er].

It just got a new friend to spend some time with since i got this new pc, no real plans for it, to be honest i dont even remember where i got it from.

Could always throw together a vintage DOS/Win95 gaming box. Dig up a Pentium MMX or AMD K6, 64mb RAM, Matrox Millennium/S3 Trio/ATi Mach64 and a Voodoo2 or two, SB AWE64 perhaps...

Even if you don't have such parts on hand, might be worth saving the board for awhile and start casually collecting whatever else you'd need.

P1. Socket 7, to be exact, so it should theoretically support up through at least some of the AMD K6-series as well, depending on what sort of voltage options it has.

With a few NICs it might make an OK router, although it might not really be worth it over a $40 D-Link or the like, when you take power consumption into account.

Just remember it'll only cache 64mb RAM, so putting any more than that'll just make it run slow[er].

Actualy the "P1" back then was known as the P5 architecture...the P6 architecture was the Pentium Pro, and the P6 or Pentium Pro architecture was adopted for the Pentium III and remained up till the Pentium 4 willy came out.
Not trying to stir up anything, just a little FYI history for ya :)

Nice. I still have an old Yukon TX mobo with a Pentium 200 MMX attached to it in a parts box. That thing paired with my 6MB Pure3D Voodoo pass through graphics card was great (maybe for quake1)

Actualy the "P1" back then was known as the P5 architecture...

Hence the name Pentium, which was chosen since it was determined that Intel couldn't trademark "586". Although, you're not entirely accurate there: P5 referred to the original Socket 4 Pentium... the 60/66mhz ones with the floating point bug. Then they came out with the P54C/CS, which was the more commonly-known Pentium, and then P55C was the MMX version that came later.

Then you had stuff like the Cyrix 6x86 and the AMD K5. Those were a little closer in design to the P6 architecture, but performed more on par with the P5. But don't mistake those with the 5x86 chips, also offered by AMD and Cyrix... the 5x86 was actually an enhanced 486, for use on Socket 3 motherboards, but could perform on par with a low-end Pentium, and was often rated as such (i.e., 5x86-P75). Then how about the IDT/Centaur Winchip, which was a later Socket 7 chip, designed as a low-cost alternative to the Pentium MMX, but was actually based more on a 486-type design. Confused yet? :D

I still have my IBM 6x86L 166PR @133mhz, Intel 486dx4 75 (runs great @ 100),
Also an AMD or cyrix 486 dx2? @ 80mhz... an Intel 386 DX 25...etc.
Maybe I should change my handle to PackRat?
I still have old socket3, socket 4 socket7, and slot one boards.
I even have an old compaq P166 backplane server board lying about....maybe I should start my own PC museum.

I could contribute too that. Still got my Atari 130xe. Modded with extra 256K of ram.

Also got my original 8088 chip out of my first IBM PC. *THE IBM PC.

Yanked that out to install a slightly faster CPU made by NEC I think (V20 maybe... ?)
Increased speed from 4.7mhz to a screaming fast 5mhz if I recall right.

Back