• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Q Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lavakille

Registered
Hi, I got a new computer and want to overclock it. My spec are Asus P5Q Motherboard, Nvidia 9800GTX, adata 2x2GB 800Ghz ram and a Intel core 2 duo E8400 cpu. I would like to make it the best setting for gaming so everything will run smooth and won't lag. I am new to this overclocking stuff so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!:thup:

Couple things. First do you know how to get into the bios setup screens? Next download a program called SetFSB you can use that to increase fsb without going into bios. Next download a program called prime95 you will use this to check stability of your overclock.
First you will find the max overclock at stock settings using setfsb and prime. Install SetFSB, if I remember correctly the PLL you want to use is ICS9LPRS918BKL just scroll down high light it and check the Ultra box at top, then click getFSB. It will show you the fsb and mhz of current setup. You only want to raise fsb by 5 to start, then run prime for a hour. Stop prime and raise fsb by 5 again, and run prime for a hour. If and when you get a error or it reboots, drop fsb by 5 and run prime 2 hours. When you are done you will need to go into bios and set the fsb at what it is set in SatFSB program. Then reboot and run prime another 2 hours to be sure it is stable. Sound confusing yep. Just ask as you go along, plenty of help here.

There will be no "step by step" guide to overclocking. It is completely trial and error (this is what makes overclocking fun and challenging). Each piece of hardware is different, even if they came off the assembly line one after another. We can give suggestions, but there will be no settings that "just work".

That being said, I would suggest looking over this these threads to familiarize yourself with the basics to overclocking:
Overclocking Guide
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals)
Guidelines for Thorough Stability Testing

There is a ton of information on this board, I personally had one :)
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=565873

Back