• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI platium P7N (+q6600)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander69

OK Guys first off im a bit of a nub when it comes to OCing so be gentle with me and if anyone has any suggestions please explain as simply as possible :p. Anyways. A couple of week ago i upgraded my comp with the mobo and CPU stated in the title. My rig consists of :

CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4 (GO stepping) w/cooler :Thermalright Ultra-120A CPU Cooler/w akasa blue led fan ( about 23c idle with stock voltages)
Mobo: MSI P7N platium
HDD's: 1st WDR 150 gig ( 10,000 rpm) 2ndary 750 gig storage ( cnt member make)
RAM: 4gb of OCZ sli ready 8500+ ram
PSU:850W Zalman ZM850-HP
GPU: ScanFX 8800gtx (stock freq's, will be 2 in SLI tomorrow)
Soundcard: Soundblaster Xtreme Gamer

ok so i heard that the 1.0 bios of this mobo had some major probs with ocing and certain FSB freq's etc. So i decided to wait till i updated my bios to the latest version ( i am on 1.1 atm, although there is a 2.0 version which i have tried but it didnt work too well, yet there are only 2 versions supplied on the msi site the 1.0 and 1.1 not the version 2 :S) so now i updated my bios i have started trying to OC. ( for sum reason although my ram is 8500 and is mena be runnning at 1066 but its at 667mhz :S) so anyways i increase my ram to 800 to start with. I start to increase the fsb, so im on 1099 ( started at 1066) only at 2.44 ghz but its a start. ( that wt it states in bios anyways) but when i go into windows the vista startup screen says its only at 2.4 and in ntune and cpu-z its only at 2.4 and my fsb aparently is only at 1066 although before in bios when i booted up it said 1099. Another prob is when i increase my fsb anything over 1099 like 1109 etc :bang head ( sticking to the increments of 10) my comp wont even post and i have to reset my bios. although i can go well above that using ntune :confused: does anyone have this mobo and CPU and has had this prob of the bios saying diferently to wt is on the desktop? and could offer a solution and if that works offer the increments they increased their fsb in in bios. ( i may even be needed to be run through the basics of OCing as i didnt ever touch the cpu votage etc,) please guys, im really looking forward to overclocking this cpu to around the 3.3/3.4 mark ( hence the cooler) and any help input would be so apreiciated

thanks guys :D

Back