• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B w/ E8400 Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ins0mnia

Registered
I'm trying to get to 4.0Ghz (I have sufficient cooling), and according to windows, I'm there and it runs very stable however, according to CPU-z, my multiplier is x6 instead of the x9 it should be. Which ones is correct and what is causing my multiplier to be x6?

windowstl1.jpg
cpuzek5.jpg

Here are my specs

ASUS P5B Premium Vista Edition (Bios 0902)
Intel C2D E8400
evga 7950GT OC
CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

In the Bios, disable:

C1E, Speedstep, and C1ST. Those settings are throttling your CPU under light use and only clocks to 4.0Ghz when it "needs" to.

Save your bios and reboot ;)

thx a lot bro, that worked but for some reason my gpu is running at x1 instead of x16 and my DRAM freq. looks to be a little low

ramni5.jpg
gpupe1.jpg

Ooohh, that one I'm at a loss for tbh. I don't want to give any advice with that as a wrong setting can totally mess up the GPU. The DRAM is fine though, it matches the above SS buss speed as it should. Just remember DDRII means 445(bus)x2=890mhz actual speed for the ram ;)

k thanks anyways, anybody know wuts causing that? i'm a pretty big gamer and that is a huge bottle neck

A cmos clearing will reset evrything back to defaults. Then you can set evrything back to the settings you use. Don't forget to disable: C1E, Speedstep, and C1ST.

Hopefully this will set the PCIE to 16x.

The PCIe going to x1 on P965 is a known issue that I experienced as well. There is no 'for sure' cure, but you can try changing the PCIe frequency from auto to 100-105 (try each one). You can also try changing the FSB speed slightly, or the NB or FSB voltages.

The PCIe going to x1 on P965 is a known issue that I experienced as well. There is no 'for sure' cure, but you can try changing the PCIe frequency from auto to 100-105 (try each one). You can also try changing the FSB speed slightly, or the NB or FSB voltages.

Hmm, odd. This must be on certain boards because on my DFI/Gigabyte boards I never had that issue. Maybe on selected few? :shrug:

hey thanks guys, I upped my NB vcore to 1.45 and my SB vcore to 1.6. I also changed the peg option or something to fast x4 and now it is x16. I can't seem to find C1ST in bios so it is currently at its default setting. What does C1ST do and anybody know what menu it is in?

hey thanks guys, I upped my NB vcore to 1.45 and my SB vcore to 1.6. I also changed the peg option or something to fast x4 and now it is x16. I can't seem to find C1ST in bios so it is currently at its default setting. What does C1ST do and anybody know what menu it is in?

C1 changes multiplier between 6-9 depending on highest multiplier on a cpu.

That option is probably in advanced part of bios, in cpu configuration

erm, i went through every single menu and couldn't seem to find it. oh well, i mean as long as it running fine, I guess the default value for C1ST isn't gonna do any harm. thanks for all your help guys!!

What BIOS version are You on? Sometimes that makes a big difference also. Also what is Your OC? Try over 400fsb, These boards have problems between 380 - 400ish. Does it duel start?

Hey bro you can leave the EIST / C1E/ Speedstep on or off it doesnt matter. It wasnt slowing your comp down to 6x. It just moves the mulitplier from 9x to 6x when its idle, or not under load. As soon as you loaded a game or did anything semi-intensive it would jump back to 9x and 4ghz. Its just to save power.

Back