• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what the better chipset? EP45 V's X48

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are you going to use Crossfire? If yes, get the X48 board. If no, get the P45 board.

To add:

The X48 supports 16x16 in crossfire while the P45 offers 16x8 crossfire...so if running CF then there will be increase...if running single...then no...unless you have to use the PCI-E 2 slot...that slot runs at 8x

To add:

The X48 supports 16x16 in crossfire while the P45 offers 16x8 crossfire...so if running CF then there will be increase...if running single...then no...unless you have to use the PCI-E 2 slot...that slot runs at 8x

Cheers for clearing that up mate :)

Yes yes, Glock gave you the detailed explanation of what I said. From what I've read, that is the only real noticeable difference in P45 vs. X48 chipsets.

Are you absolutlely sold on Gigabyte? Would you consider another vendor?
Would consider any board around the same price,

Mainly choice Gigabyte over the rest as I'm common with it.

What would you recommend? I'm running a E8500 and HD4870 looking to get approx 4ghz on water.

Would consider any board around the same price,

Mainly choice Gigabyte over the rest as I'm common with it.

What would you recommend? I'm running a E8500 and HD4870 looking to get approx 4ghz on water.

If that is the type of speeds you looking for then really a P35 will suffice..... unless you want CPU speeds at 4.5-4.8 Ghz , then go for P45 or X48 which has much better voltage control on the chipset and PWM's

I'm running a E8500 and HD4870 looking to get approx 4ghz on water.

The E8500 should do 4ghz on air without issues and if you have a good stepping...4.5+Ghz could be very possible on WC.

Heres something no one has thought of asking...and I didnt until now...

How hard do you want to OC the FSB...do you want to shoot for 500+?

This matters on chipsets and boards...

The E8500 should do 4ghz on air without issues and if you have a good stepping...4.5+Ghz could be very possible on WC.

Heres something no one has thought of asking...and I didnt until now...

How hard do you want to OC the FSB...do you want to shoot for 500+?

This matters on chipsets and boards...

I was aiming for 450FSB to get over the 4ghz mark,
But like most things, I'll probably aim higher in the long run.

So I would say, in the long run probably would aim for 500FSB

Back