• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File Server MB Ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RDWest2005

Hey Guys,
It has been a long time since my posts. I can at least say I help top world scores at futuremark back in Dec. 2005 :)

Now it all work and no play...

I hope I don't get kicked for asking about a file server mb and not gaming ---
Listen guys, I hope someone in here has some experience with file servers.

I have critical data that has to be backed up everyday.
55+ gigs now and will grow big over a few years...

My thoughts is 2U case, 8 SATA Hotswap bays but what MB ?
I want to run RAID 0+1 I guess or maybe RAID 5 across 5 or 6 drives.

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks,

I miss the fun in gaming to the extremes and I still have my 2005 water-cooler sitting here on my desktop with the Blackice III - Still going... :)

I just got this iMac and I think its nice to have somewhat windows+unix :)

Ahhhhight,
Any ideas of best MB for file server guys?
RD

Really, any motherboard will do IMO; cheap and low power comes to mind. I don't know if I'd trust the "onboard" RAID that most boards have for this reason: if the motherboard dies then your RAID array(and data) will be in limbo unless you can get another motherboard with the exact type controller. Also, for the sake of portability, a PCI RAID controller is a good choice.

I run a wireless-headless file server on an old socket A motherboard, with a Highpoint 404 RAID(0,1 + JBOD) pci controller card; served me well for the last 5 years. It's in RAID 1(mirrored) and can accommodate a total of 8 disks(eg:4 RAID0 or RAID1 arrays).

RD,

as ihrsetrdr point it out just about any board would do, so saying that I like

ABIT AB9 Pro LGA, can be had for about 85 and good brand, and 9 sata ports, etc

about back ups, really like unRAID, look it up, find it better than normal raid since raid is so delicate, bad controller, computer dies, drives dead, little to no upgradability etc and you lost everything,

good luck,

sam

AB9-pro while out dated is still a good board, should be cheaper then$85. if your looking at the $100 price point then look at the Gigabyte P45-DS3L.

Thanks

Thanks,
Then I guess a cheap intel MB with core 2 cpu and the RAID Card will do...

I got my eyes on an iStar 4U case which has 6 hotswaps.

Thanks guys,
RD

Back