• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange MOBO voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grimm003

So I was trying to push my RAM this morning, and I pushed it too far. I opened up my case and cleared the CMOS. I went back into the bios to load a working profile and I double checked everything and noticed something peculiar. I am using an ASUS P5B-E, and I recently did the pencil v-droop mod, and haven't updated the bios in a month or two. I looked at my CPU voltages and now my span of voltages has completely changed. My max used to be ~1.3275 of something, now my minimum voltage is 1.4! My new range is 1.4-1.7 volts. I am certain that before I reset the CMOS my max was ~1.3275 because I have a screenshot from last week and CPU-Z shows 1.31 volts. So, I am curious as to how this happened. I've had this board for awhile now but I think this was my first time ever clearing the CMOS on it. More importantly, though, is 1.4 safe for everyday use? My chip is an E6300. I checked CPU-Z after I noticed this and sure enough, it is reading 1.384.

EDIT: 500th post! W00TERS!

Well temps were high so I tried clearing my CMOS again, and now I have all the old values, plus all of the new ones. I don't know what is going on but I'm glad to have that extra headroom

Not bad. Maybe try clearing cmos like so:

Unplug psu from the wall
Set jumper on mobo to clear cmos
Remove Cmos battery from mobo
Hold power button on to discharge the leftover power from mobo & psu

Let it sit like that for a while. I do this for about 10-15 minutes if I want to use the pc right away. If not I leave it longer like 1/2 to 1 hour.

Put evrything back: Jumper to reg mode, cmos battery back in and psu plug back into the wall.

Power up and you should have evrything set back to defaults. Go into the bios and set evrything back to the way you had it prior to pushing the ram to where the problem first started.

You should be back to normal operation :)

For 65nm chips I would'nt pump more than 1.6v max with good cooling. Newegg Linky specs show 1.5v max

Well I was able to load up one of my profiles and all my settings are fine. I laxed the memory speed and it is stable, but I was just shocked to see the new CPU voltage options.

I was a little upset earlier that I was at my max CPU voltage that my motherboard would allow, and I don't think my cpu was it its max, though. I believe my memory is holding me back so I need to wait to get some more to go further, but I think now that I have the capabilities to go higher vcore voltage, I should be good. Although, I can't adjust my NB voltages, so I may hit that wall soon. I'm chalking this up to one of life's great mysteries.

Back