• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New here :p Can my board/cpu overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flingpoo

Ok im new to this, but i just picked up a core 2 duo e4400 2ghz processor and was wondering if i could overclock this. My motherboard is a cheapie, its a ECS PT890T-A.

1. In my bios under pcp settings, it has an option that says overclock..then i can go to enabled...then under that an option comes up, cpu frequency...its sitting at 200, i tried to put it at 230 (didnt know what that would do lol) and tried to boot, but it wouldnt boot up so i had to reset the bios.

2. I just got this processor today, its pretty hot in my room its 85f outside, and playing world of warcraft the max it has got to has been 49 c (the number that sits in system tray when speedfan is minimised) BUT my core temps are around 63c when that other number is 49c...is that normal, i was told 15 degrees seperation is about right between cpu and the core temps.

3. Id really appreciate some help with this, i got the processor cheap (40 bucks) and was told its a good overclocker, just hoping my board is able to support it :p

Any help appreciated !

Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

That E4400 will oc, but the board, however, is something else I'm afraid. ECS boards are really not ocing boards as their boises/features are limited.

Your best bet would be a P35 chipset board. You can get a P35 board pretty cheap now as prices have dropped.

Also a good aftermarket cpu cooler is advised if you want to oc. Lower temps will results in better performance/oc.

Your temps now are nominal since I can guess you're using the stock cooler and your ambient temps are 85f.

It would be to your benefit to cool the room down some first before venturing in to the ocing world. Your pc will thank you ;)

Back