• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IX38 QuadGT - Stability Issue - related to uGuru??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I am starting to become impatient. Even at stock my system will sometimes hang!!!!!!!! I've tried 2 different sets of RAM:
1 - OCZ 2GB SLI 1066mhz
2 - Patriot Viper 2GB 1150mhz

I've tried them at 1000mhz and at 800mhz, auto SPD (5-5-5-16-2T) even at the max volts they rate to, which is 2.300v

First, even at stock (by the way, CPU-Z reads vcore as 1.6+ volts even at stock - ????), my system would freeze while starting up windows, even at all stock settings. I decided to pull out the OCZ kit and throw in the Patriot kit, and then finally I was able to get into windows (I've NO CLUE WHY... I didn't think the OCZ was bad). By the way, I'm on the most current BIOS, which is version 13 I believe... latest on abit-usa.com

It seems that raising VTT definitely helps when I do SuperPi (2 instances) benchmarks and whatnot, but sometimes the damn system will freeze within 10 seconds of starting SPi 32M even at stock settings!!!

I'm thinking that having uGuru running is causing the problem now with the Patriot ram. So far I haven't been running the Abit uGuru software and it's been able to NOT freeze during the Spi 32m runs.

I truly love the Abit uGuru software, but is it possible that it's buggy, or the uGuru chip on my board is bad?

I just want to know if it's time to RMA or not. I didn't fully write down all the problems I had... basically had to do 3 WINDOWS installs so far (along with all of my drivers, software, etc... already spent at least 6-8 hrs just installing)

Thx for your help.

My specs:
E8400 with D-Tek waterblock, Bix2 Rad w/ 2x120x38mm deltas
Already told you the RAM
Sapphire HD4850 stock cooler until I redo my water
OCZ 1000W ProXStream PSU

P.S. What's the random beep sound... it's very dim, and happens not so frequently. Sometimes it's just a single BEEP, sometimes a double beep. I have the CPU fan monitor off as I don't have a CPU fan (on water).

Anyone else have this board, or similar symptoms?? =/

Have you checked the CPU temps and your RAID setup (if you really have the raptors in RAID0 as your sig implies) to make sure the board is at fault and not other components? Still, if it's throwing the towel without any stress on the cpu, idk, seems like RMA time.

Couldn't you just lower voltage to 1.25 in BIOS and see what happens? Maybe CPU-Z is right and auto-settings are way too high on that board.

I don't know if it's still the case, but in the past there was issues running cpu-z & uguru at the same time. No problem if they were run independent of each other. Also, it's not uncommon for cpu-z to read the vcore wrong with Abit boards. If your testing has been done with cpu-z & uguru running together, try again with Everest or other utility.

Have you checked the CPU temps and your RAID setup (if you really have the raptors in RAID0 as your sig implies) to make sure the board is at fault and not other components? Still, if it's throwing the towel without any stress on the cpu, idk, seems like RMA time.

Couldn't you just lower voltage to 1.25 in BIOS and see what happens? Maybe CPU-Z is right and auto-settings are way too high on that board.
Okay, so I've set the vcore to 1.275v and right now CPU-Z is reading it as 1.528v!! :(
I don't know if it's still the case, but in the past there was issues running cpu-z & uguru at the same time. No problem if they were run independent of each other. Also, it's not uncommon for cpu-z to read the vcore wrong with Abit boards. If your testing has been done with cpu-z & uguru running together, try again with Everest or other utility.

Running Abit uGuru by itself my CPU voltage reads 1.29v, so that's fine.

Every time I double-click the uGuru icon, the mouse gets choppy for a couple of seconds... that's why I keep thinking that uGuru is the only reason my system crashes @ all.

Latest Bios Issue Date:2008/07/01 (Bios 14)
Abit's global site: http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/down...TLE_ON_SCREEN=IX38+QuadGT&pSOCKET_TYPE=LGA775

Worth a try. What uguru version are you running ?

Oh crap... they must have come out with that not long after I got started on this system. Thx for the link - I'm def going to give that a shot.

I can't figure out what uGuru version I'm running from the software, but I always save my installation files, and I believe it's Abit uGuru v3.109

P.S. Any idea on the infrequent, intermittent, dim beep sound??

P.S. Any idea on the infrequent, intermittent, dim beep sound??

I've been thinking about that for the last 6-7 hours.
It could be that your PSU is insanely defective, and your board is quietly complaining that its getting raped by atrocious voltages.
Or that the uGuru software + CPU-Z just don't get along very well, like cuda340 suggested.
But I'm grasping straws here, maybe someone that has an Abit board could step in?

Is there some kind of e-mail support you could harass with your problem? I'm sure that would make for some humorous exchanges.

Please report back, this was one of the boards that I considered for my new box in Sept.

PS: I just remembered, my very old PC (way back) would beep randomly when the CPU reached massive heat-spikes due to the HSF being mismounted (a bit) on the Duron 700 (told you - way back, I was young). So your temps are okay? Block mounted correctly?

I've been thinking about that for the last 6-7 hours.
It could be that your PSU is insanely defective, and your board is quietly complaining that its getting raped by atrocious voltages.
Or that the uGuru software + CPU-Z just don't get along very well, like cuda340 suggested.
But I'm grasping straws here, maybe someone that has an Abit board could step in?

Is there some kind of e-mail support you could harass with your problem? I'm sure that would make for some humorous exchanges.

Please report back, this was one of the boards that I considered for my new box in Sept.

PS: I just remembered, my very old PC (way back) would beep randomly when the CPU reached massive heat-spikes due to the HSF being mismounted (a bit) on the Duron 700 (told you - way back, I was young). So your temps are okay? Block mounted correctly?

Temps are not that great to be honest, but that's b/c I've been using the liquid metal TIM, and I think after taking the block off a few too many times caused the TIM to get dirty... I was just lazy and the stuff is HARD to clean, and expensive to keep re-applying. I'm planning on fixing it as I am migrating my stuff to a new case hopefully within a couple of weeks.

The temps are about 43/44C idle on 1.275v, and mid to high 50s for load. I know my temps should be WAY better on water, but it's fine for now until I fix it.

I might just clean the TIM and go back to AS5 soon anyway... but I just flashed to the newest BIOS (went from v13 to v14) and I haven't heard the beep yet.

Back