• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-EP45-DS3 , how good it for OC ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

napox

Registered
I'm planing to buy GA-EP45-DS3 with E8400 and one HD4850.
My plan is to OC the cpu to ~4Ghz, will the performances of this motherboard allow me to reach it ?
Or should I get ASUS P5Q PRO or some other motherboard ?
Better boards are a bit out of my budget.

I went with the Asus P5Q pro... though I won't get it for a few days... we shall see. Anyway I guess I would like to know if I made the right choicE!

I had a GA-EP45-DS3 last week and it is a great CPU clocker but is has issues with RAM, unless you run RAM timings at SPD (auto) you will not be able to tighten the RAM irrespective the voltage you feed the sticks or the NB.

I had a GA-EP45-DS3 last week and it is a great CPU clocker but is has issues with RAM, unless you run RAM timings at SPD (auto) you will not be able to tighten the RAM irrespective the voltage you feed the sticks or the NB.

Can you tell me more about what you've seen? I have this board and also have problems with ram timings being reset on boot.

Can you tell me more about what you've seen? I have this board and also have problems with ram timings being reset on boot.

Well, if you leave the RAM timings at auto it seems to be fine, as soon as you change them in the bios, even to stock timings at stock speeds I would get BSOD or freeze screen in Windows which always indicates RAM issue from my experience. I had the exact same issue with the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe (DDR3), not with the P5Q deluxe though. This week I'll see what the Maximus II Formula will do.

IR1, how far are you planing to OC the P5Q-PRO ?

Well this will be my first Intel setup... ever. Yes I am making the switch from AMD after like 8+ years. I am hoping to get 4GHZ or more on an E8500 on air.

I am getting some G.skill 8500 DDR2 as well.

So basically I am going to shoot for the best I can get since this is new territory for me, I did not feel it necessary to go with an X48 board though I might go Xfire sometime in the future I wont be going above 1680 x 1050 on res though so I doubt I will see much hampering from the P45.

Well, if you leave the RAM timings at auto it seems to be fine, as soon as you change them in the bios, even to stock timings at stock speeds I would get BSOD or freeze screen in Windows which always indicates RAM issue from my experience. I had the exact same issue with the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe (DDR3), not with the P5Q deluxe though. This week I'll see what the Maximus II Formula will do.

Do the memory timings have so high significance while working with the new intel CPUs ?

Do the memory timings have so high significance while working with the new intel CPUs ?

Depends on your needs, if you just want to game etc then RAM timings is not that that of an issue, if you bench or try to push your system to its limits then yeah, RAM timings makes a huge difference

That seems something to be reviewed by asus... maybe a a new bios, maybe contac their forums/support... I'm curious about what mobo too!!! Will subscribe here for reading :soda:

Back