• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI LP LT X38-T2R and OCing experiances

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Well had this board for about 3 weeks now and finally getting around to really playing with her a bit more. As it seems this board is not for sale anymore :( At least it was taken off the egg a week ago at least.

Anyways back to OCing :) I have my E8400 which I know is good for nice clocks. I know this board is running slightly tighter timings on the NB for better performance over my last P35 boards I've had. So of course it requires more voltage on the NB to get her going right?

Well this is my first wierd experiance I've ever had with a board. SO wierd and confusing its boggling my mind right now. For a while just general settings I've had on the board.

Ram set to 5-5-5-15 everything else auto
Playing between 3.6 and 4.05Ghz
CPU 1.125V Bios for 3.6Ghz and 1.1875V Bios for 4.05Ghz slightly higher than I previosuly had it at with 1.1V and 1.175V for what I thought was stable.
Now here is the biggest kicker of them all. Last night I was trying to run orthos playing around with the ram voltage and NB voltage to see what I can crank out of the chipset and mobo in general to clock my CPU up a wee bit higher.

While I was playing last night, I couldn't get a stable clock I was using 1.4-1.45V on the MCH respective to the clocks and I could not lower them, or even change the ram voltage without a crash. CPU voltage was the same raising it did nothing for me. These settings have been working for nearly a month playing games, 3D renderings and benches without an issue mind you. Yet running orthos would crash within min which I thought was rather stable (did a prelim test for an hour on it previously). So with running low on options I decided to start isolating the issue, going back to the basics and pushing the FSB with low CPU clocks.

No issues 400Mhz with 1.35V MCH (previously needed 1.4V at least) and 2.05V on ram (needed 2.1V before). So ok intresting return to a 3.6Ghz clock, no issues passes 2 hours on a Ram stress and CPU stress. Ok that was wierd na that can't be right at all somethings gotta be messed up. Well its not so, because not only that now im up to 450Mhz, 4.05Ghz with the same 1.35V MCH! Now im thinking, how is this possible? Stability tests still rolling but its passed my Ram stresser, which would crap out at anything under 2.125V (2.15V to be safe) before and its running at 2.05V still.

Im speachless, this board is never less amazing, let alone the fact its taking less voltage on the NB to achieve the same clocks that my P35 chipsets have taken in the past, but I now have alot more room to push my ram as well which finally might beable to take it past 480Mhz which seem to be an evil barrier for me with them.

This board is the bomb... I'll be posting more experiances with it once they come up but so far, this has far excceded expectations, not only am I running less voltage through the NB currently (still have yet to test games or benches at the 450Mhz level, worked fine last night at 400Mhz and gaming), but less voltage on the ram. CPU needs a little extra voltage than I've done in the past but thats a drop in the barrel since its not even heating it up at all with the slight boost.

Glad it's working so well for you. My last three builds have been DFI based. I don't think I 'll ever use another MB if I can help it. Bios is very complicated compared to manufacturers but it does give you the most control over your hardware.

i would say read over on XS TL thread but it is so long and hard to find good info! i do enjoy my DK board, but am delayed at jumping in to find out what all the settings do, but seems i may have to in order o get my q6600 above 3.2

Yeah I've owned 1 other DFI and that was with my X2 / Opteron 170. Great board loved it. Definatly these boards require the tweak to get quads to shine, but when they do they really go.

Just found it amazing that with so little voltage it can run 4 sticks of ram at 450Mhz on a chipset that has tighter timings. So wierd.

Back