• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel DG45FC Mini-ITX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

werth

Not sure how many people on here are interested in mini-itx builds. I myself have an atom board, just for goofin around dual boot xp/mac osx. This new build really caught my eye though. There is another similar board from J&W based on an amd platform and 780g chipset ( I believe one from jetway too) but im going to focus on the intel one.

socket 775, supporting the latest c2d (I believe up to e8500)
2 dimm slots, up to ddr2-800
intel g45 chipset
intel x4500hd graphics
6 usb 2.0, 5 sata, esata, hdmi, 7.1 audio etc.
1 pci-e x1 slot
http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Motherboards/DG45FC/DG45FC-overview.htm

This board looks to me like it would be an amazingly ideal build for an htpc or carputer. The x4500hd is by what i've seen, about the same as the hd3200 give or take. My thoughts, dg45fc board, e7200/e8200, 2x1gb ram (whatevers on sale), xonar dx pci-e1 sounds card, whatever size HDD you like. That would make a small but powerful, and affordable htpc.

Only downfall I've seen so far is the lack of ITX cases. Apex has a model with a 250w psu for ~$50, but having one myself, the case is nothing special.

What do you guys think anyone going to pick one up? ETA's here in Canada ~August 1st.

Hmm... did anyone tried to squeeze a regular PCIe GFX card into that PCIe 1x slot? like cutting the slot's end so a regular PCIe 16x card would fit, I'am aware that ir would run in 1x mode, but it would be kinda cool to run a HD4670 on that board with a e5200 and let's say 4Gb of ram :)

Hmm... did anyone tried to squeeze a regular PCIe GFX card into that PCIe 1x slot? like cutting the slot's end so a regular PCIe 16x card would fit, I'am aware that ir would run in 1x mode, but it would be kinda cool to run a HD4670 on that board with a e5200 and let's say 4Gb of ram :)

No PCIE slots dont work like that

You need however many pins its setup for.

With smaller slots, they do not have to change anything, as the "pinout" does not change... they just need less of them.

So say a pcie 1x was 20 pins (2 rows of 10) the one row might be power and the other data. Once you jump to pciE 16x lets hypothetically make it 2x40pins. The first 20 pins are still set up the same way, but the remainder are also supplying power or data. This is why a 1x card will work in a 16x slot but not vica versa. (Hope that is clear lol)

a pcie x16 card will work in a x1 slot but of course will only work at x16. though you want to protect the rest of the slot connector by some kind of protector. eletrical tape should do just fine. all M-ITX boards i have looked at have other objects in the way so correctly seating a x16 card will more then likly be a issue.

ps
raven,
400watt psu on a atom setup is way overkill. im running a 250watt and its overkill.....

Well It's clear :) but I've seen some crazy hw mods around, and some people say that they actually got the 16x card to work in 1x slots like on the link below :
http://home.comcast.net/~lager1/forum/pics/DSC02448b.jpg
And here is another link :
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/249291-12-card

So i guess it's worth trying :) and from what I saw on the DG45FC picture it's doable

Interesting

Really do not see how that works at all.. but it was posted on Tom's :p (jk)

I guess because the 7900GT has a 6 pin PCIE port the power is not an issue, but the fact that it operates at less than spec data stream is amazing, truly plug and play!

a pcie x16 card will work in a x1 slot but of course will only work at x16. though you want to protect the rest of the slot connector by some kind of protector. eletrical tape should do just fine. all M-ITX boards i have looked at have other objects in the way so correctly seating a x16 card will more then likly be a issue.

ps
raven,
400watt psu on a atom setup is way overkill. im running a 250watt and its overkill.....

Both are huge overkill, I have a 60W in mine and its Atom Dual Core

Back