• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gateway motherboard confusion...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PipeBom

My friend just bought a P4 1.3 in a Gateway system and we can't find any clues on what the motherboard is. I've had a look in the bios and I'm guessing that is an ASUS board. Does anyone know how to check out what brand and model the mobo is??

The branded factures will have their own sets of board, but other people are really making them like IBM doesn't even make anything Aopen does..

Use Sisoft Sandra, and Mainboard information it should be under, manufacture and model.

Yodums

The kid's PC is a P4 1.3 from Gateway, it has an Intel D850GB, yours is probably the same (if it's an i850, don't know what they use for the SDRAM models).

Why oh why can't Intel just make their mobo's overclocker friendly? I mean, how hard would it be to put a jumper on the board that would "turn on" FSB/Vcore settings in the BIOS? Leave it off by default, that way Joe Six Pack will never even know its there. Then those of us that were silly enough to ever by and OEM system (before we knew any better) could still tinker, and not have to toss a perfectly good mobo in order to get a little more out of the CPU.

Rant complete.

stymee said:
The kid's PC is a P4 1.3 from Gateway, it has an Intel D850GB, yours is probably the same (if it's an i850, don't know what they use for the SDRAM models).

Why oh why can't Intel just make their mobo's overclocker friendly? I mean, how hard would it be to put a jumper on the board that would "turn on" FSB/Vcore settings in the BIOS? Leave it off by default, that way Joe Six Pack will never even know its there. Then those of us that were silly enough to ever by and OEM system (before we knew any better) could still tinker, and not have to toss a perfectly good mobo in order to get a little more out of the CPU.

Rant complete.

It really isn't in Intels interests to include these features for quite obvious reasons. If you want to overclock - you buy an overclocking board - simple.

wild_andy_c said:

It really isn't in Intels interests to include these features for quite obvious reasons. If you want to overclock - you buy an overclocking board - simple.

And if you want an overclocking board, then go out and buy one. You should never buy a brand name system such as Gateway or Compac or Dell if you want a high performance and overclockable machine. If you buy the parts seprately and put it together yourself, then you get the best parts and for less cost compaired to a brand name systems. My friend made that mistake...

Ok i have read till my eyes burn then i read some more,
so i have to ask for some help here.

I have a Gateway P3 550 katami slot 1.
Mainboard is by Gateway (acorrding to sandra 2001 te)
Model is tabor coppermine ws440bx (acorrding to sandra 2001 te)

all i want to do is a little OCing on this board but confused by all the info about boards and processers. As for other specs all i can get info is through sandra, the gateway website and archives are useless. If anybody out there has any simlier systems could you give me some help?

Back