• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Frozen BIOS I can't escape! (I'm at a total loss)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tLove

Every 9 months or so, I turn to these forums for help (used to be a regular, but hobbies change, however I know I can trust the problem solving skills of OC forum members) :p.

So.
I had my computer plugged in, nothing out of the ordinary, and turned it off since I was going to be out of town for the weekend. When I came back, I know the power in my apartment went out at least once because the clocks were flashing. So I try booting up my computer and it stops booting at the Gigabyte Bios screen. After many attempts at doing things, it still will not move past that screen. It won't respond to any keyboard commands (boot menu, show POST, etc) and thats it. I have moved RAM sticks in and out, swapped out graphics cards, unplugged, replugged and tried every combo of things. I popped the mini battery on the motherboard, I reset the CMOS multiple times.

So at one point, I had power to the motherboard and cpu. I had the CPU fan plugged in, an older geforce 7600 card, and once stick of RAM. The only other cable I had in was the power switch. I turn on the computer and everything is on, but it won't even show the BIOS flash screen. I swap out every RAM stick, in every slot, and sometimes it will show the BIOS, sometimes it won't. I'm at a total loss... I searched google for a bit with no luck, and Gigabytes troubeshooting guide doesn't have an option for a BIOS freezing before starting.

If anybody has any suggestions I'm willing to try it. All my components are listed in my signature... THANKS! (I'll probably be hanging by this thread all day, and so forth until this gets fixed).

What blakehenry00 said! :)

Reset the CMOS. I bet it starts right up.

You don't actually have to leave it out overnight, you can safely 'short' the battery by taking it out, putting the battery back in upsidedown, and then take it out and put it back in the correct way. (I hope that makes sense.) That will reset the CMOS immediately.

where in the BIOS does it freeze?
Does it check the CPU?
Does it check the RAM?
the IDE/SATA devices?
Can you get to the BIOS Setup?

Have you tried another PSU? My first suggestion would have been what all have told you, remove the battery. But I see you have already tried that. Also, have you tried a stick of ram that was not in the computer while you were gone?

Try inserting only one memory stick and clearing cmos and try starting it.

Okay. Progress... The CMOS finally got cleared correctly and my computer was booting up with 1 stick of RAM. I loaded another in... works fine. I loaded the third in.... it hangs. I take it out, and more the other two sticks to slots 2/4, instead of 1/2. Works fine... I rearrange again, and it works fine, but whenever I put that third stick in, nothing. I borrow a stick identical to the one I was using from my friend and it works fine with that one and three. And then I threw the stick I thought might be bad in his computer... his won't boot up! So yea, I think one of my sticks of RAM went bad... is that normal? Also, even though my CD drive is plugged in, both power and IDE, it fails to show up in explorer or the bios.... is that normal after a bad stick of RAM.

And now I can't get my old overclock to work correctly.... oh joy.

Back