• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo P45

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beggan

Gonna put together a 2nd rig and have been debating as to which P45 board to get. These are the 3 in my price range. Any advice or opinions on the boards is welcome. Also when giving me your opinions please include easiness of OC'n. Also since I'm going P45 should I get a 45nm? Or is running Q6600 ok? Not looking to set records but just have a rock solid gaming/video editing computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130179

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130184

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

The compy will also be running 8g of OCZ DDR2 800, 2 x 4850's and Win Vista 64.

I am not sure how good the MSI boards are, but I have the P5Q-Pro and it is awesome. It is easy to overclock and great layout!

Stay clear from those MSI P45's, they are a PITA to work with, the P5Q series is a good pick from my experience.

thanks for the advice but how about some advice on whether to spend the extra cash on a 45nm or 65 basically 2.5ghz or the 2.4ghz.

Have you ever considered a BIOSTAR?

I recently purchased a P45 motherboard... and decided on a Biostar TPower I45. NewEgg has them priced now at $149.99 and so far it has been a very good board. In the past I have mostly used ASUS, ABIT, MSI, and DFI LanParty.

thanks for the advice but how about some advice on whether to spend the extra cash on a 45nm or 65 basically 2.5ghz or the 2.4ghz.

the short version.. P45 removes the fsb wall that 45nm quad cores have when being oced. P45 is better that is runs cooler then P35 and both oc really nicly with dual cores. if you are going P45 imo its worth the extra for the 45nm quad core. the cpu will also runn cooler stock and oced then the 65nm cpu's.

I recently purchased a P45 motherboard... and decided on a Biostar TPower I45. NewEgg has them priced now at $149.99 and so far it has been a very good board. In the past I have mostly used ASUS, ABIT, MSI, and DFI LanParty.

+1 to Biostar TPower, it's a good one, +1 to Asus's P45s as well.

The MSI P45's are nice to work with, I just set one up for a friend the other day. I can also recomend the Gigabyte P45's (the DQ6 and extreme versions are a waste of money IMO). Definately spend that extra on a 45nm CPU as they run cooler, overclock much better, and have greater performance per clock.

Thanks for the advice on the 45 vs 65. I've been reading around other sites and on this site and spending the extra 70 sounds like a solid 3 to 4 yr investment. Of course those years are taking into account NOTHING extraordinary comes out which will justify the upgrade.

the only thing that will be "big" is neha. as its roughly 33% faster per clock then current cpus. it may be worth waiting for as they are speculating that boards and cpus will be retail around oct.

Back