• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does vista install disc have built-in raid drivers for ich9r chipset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Vista may natively support the chipset in general, but I do believe that you still need to install radi drivers with a USB drive.

Or just use the CD that came with your motherboard :) Vista lets you eject the install CD and use a CD for drivers :)

Vista may natively support the chipset in general, but I do believe that you still need to install radi drivers with a USB drive.

This is correct. Although Vista natively supports ICH9R, you have to install the RAID drivers on top of the Vista Install.

As for the Mobo Disk, I know the drivers are on there, but when I try to find them during vista install, they are nowhere to be found. I just put them standalone on a flash drive and be done with it.

In all the times that I've installed both the x86 and x64 versions of Vista, I've never had to manually install RAID drivers from a CD, floppy, USB stick, etc. I have used the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Floppy Configuration Utility to create a disk containing the latest drivers (the newest drivers are newer than the drivers on the Vista CD)... but this step was totally unnessesary, as I always install the Storage Manager within the GUI, which installs the latest driverset anyway.

It may depend on the mode the chipset is in. With it set to IDE, neither Vista nor XP needs additional driver. XP needs drivers for both AHCI and RAID, and Vista at least needs drivers for RAID. I would assume if Vista does have a built-in driver it might just work for AHCI mode, but I can't test that :)

Last edited:
and Vista at least needs drivers for RAID.
I have installed a few times with it in RAID mode, I have *never* had to install a RAID driver. Not sure what discs you guys are using, but it works for me :p

I'm using the 64-bit Ultimate (non-SP1) disc I got for running WFP for 3 months. Are you using 32- or 64-bit? It could be that or SP1. My board and yours are both X48/ICH9R...

I'm using the 64-bit Ultimate (non-SP1) disc I got for running WFP for 3 months. Are you using 32- or 64-bit? It could be that or SP1. My board and yours are both X48/ICH9R...
I also got them from the Microsoft "spy on you" thing they did. They are *not* SP1 and both 32bit and 64bit work perfectly with RAID.

This is stupid. The only way my Array will be seen as a instal volume by vista is if I use the VLITE disk I slipstreamed with the RAID drivers and SP1. If I use the Original Vista disk, It will just sit there and give me the silly error message that it cant find any suitable volumes to install on. I have a feeling that its my hard drives and not the vista installation thatès causing the problem.
So, does anyone have a verdict on this. Can you build a matrix raid on an ICH9R chipset without a discrete RAID Driver install.

I didn't have to install any SATA drivers when I installed Vista x64 on a RAID1 setup on ICH9R.

I did however for a 3ware hardware RAID card which was completely reasonable and simple.

This is stupid. The only way my Array will be seen as a instal volume by vista is if I use the VLITE disk I slipstreamed with the RAID drivers and SP1. If I use the Original Vista disk, It will just sit there and give me the silly error message that it cant find any suitable volumes to install on. I have a feeling that its my hard drives and not the vista installation thatès causing the problem.
So, does anyone have a verdict on this. Can you build a matrix raid on an ICH9R chipset without a discrete RAID Driver install.

I'm pretty sure building the array is independent of the OS. I have no clue for Matrix RAID since I've never used it (a bit overhyped if you ask me) but my countless other RAID installs don't need drivers to build the array, that's all done within the RAID controller BIOS.

I'm thinking those that are reporting the need to include drivers with Vista+ICH9R either did something else wrong and thought this fixed it, or something else is going on. Vista doesn't need them.

Really, baditude. If you have the drivers to slipstream, you can just stick them on a CD or USB drive and load them when installing Vista from the original disc. No need for vLite.

Really, baditude. If you have the drivers to slipstream, you can just stick them on a CD or USB drive and load them when installing Vista from the original disc. No need for vLite.

Yes, of course. You really had to be there to witness the ****eshow I was having with those drives that night though. I was at my wits end and that was the last thing I tried. The drivers on the USB drive were not doing a thing, so I figured I'd throw in my old Caviar, load up Vista and try VLiteing a slipstreamed image. Rebuilt the array with the Raptors and for no reason whatsoever it just worked. Very odd problems I was having that night.

I'm pretty sure building the array is independent of the OS. I have no clue for Matrix RAID since I've never used it (a bit overhyped if you ask me) but my countless other RAID installs don't need drivers to build the array, that's all done within the RAID controller BIOS.

I'm thinking those that are reporting the need to include drivers with Vista+ICH9R either did something else wrong and thought this fixed it, or something else is going on. Vista doesn't need them.

And yes, building an array is always done outside the OS instal, assuming you are RAIDing the disks to be installed on. MatrixrRAID is not much different than any other RAID utility that I've used.

And yes again, I'll be the first to admit, I always have some sort of trouble with RAID, whether it was on NF4, 680, or the new X48. I very well could be a total noob, but I have done RAID on 3 different occasions on 3 separate chipsets with no problems. It's when the system goes down and I have to rebuild, that the problems start.

Regardless, I think we've established that you don't need to load chipset or RAID drivers in order to proberly load an OS on an array built with ICH9R. Thank you all who posted.

Last edited:
No more odd than that my Vista always asks me for the driver CD when I install it :bang head Guess some people are just lucky :bang head

i have installed vista 64 business. NO SP1, and once in windows my 2 ich9r arrays show up just fine and as accessible, and i can also install vista onto those arrays if i wanted, they show in the set up.

i have installed vista 64 business. NO SP1, and once in windows my 2 ich9r arrays show up just fine and as accessible, and i can also install vista onto those arrays if i wanted, they show in the set up.

Mine showed up fine in setup too. 50GB for the RAID0 partition and 100GB for the RAID1 partition. But when I tried to install to either of them I got the error message and restart. Don't ask me.

Back