• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5E-VM HDMI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sixshot

Registered
Is this board good? Planning to pair it w/ a Q6600. I've heard it has OC ability, and my case will only house a uATX board.

Anyone know how stable these are? With the G35 chipset? I am upgrading from an ECS AM2 board (nForce 430) with an X2 4200, all stock speeds on everything. Would the G35 on that board and a Q6600 be a sufficient upgrade?

I have already ordered a 4870. This X2 4200 will be a bottleneck I know it. Hence the reason to get the Asus microATX mobo and the Q6600. The memory I have is also compatible with that board so I don't have to upgrade it. 4GB Crucial Ballistix 800.

Anyway I'm just looking for a nice microATX board and really I can't afford to spend more than $150 at most. But I just wanted to know about any issues these may have and how stable they are in general. And if I should get this or a different board.

Also no PCI-e 2.0 necessary, not trying to Crossfire/SLI. I figure the one 4870 and the Q6600 should be enough. PCI-e 1.0 (or 1.1 if this board has that) shouldn't be a bottleneck for a 4870. Does it even come close to using the full bandwidth of PCI-e 1.0 anyway??

Thanks in advance guys

It is currently the best Intel matx board available. There are P45 based boards on the way but timeframe and costs are still uncertain. I have the exact set-up other than video card and have been very happy.

The only minus is that vdroop is pretty bad but that can be remedied with a pencil mod. I would do it but it is to much of a pain to take the system apart.

There is also no SATA if that is a need but can easily be added with a card if you have to have it.

So you have the Crucial Ballistix Tracers? @ 800 Mhz (stock anyway)? 4-4-4-12 timings with no issues? That's what I have.

What do you mean no SATA? You mean I can't connect my hard drive? :confused:

Or did you mean to say RAID. In that case, I don't care. Not doing RAID, the only thing I may do is add a 2nd HDD but no RAID. Or maybe you meant external SATA ports, which I don't need either.

No issues with Vista 32-bit though? It seems that people have been picking these boards up, and I like what I've read about them overall so far. Plus it looks sexy for a uATX board :beer:

Also no intentions of doing a pencil mod. Not at least until I learn more about it anyway, and even then it just seems like a flaky method to me. Vdroop not being the greatest, I can live with.

edit: I'm shooting for 3.4 Ghz on the Q6600 (G0) though. Not trying to go too high. I will of course be procuring a Tuniq 120 for this

Last edited:
Might be worth holding off a bit for the P5Q-EM HDMI... I believe it's supposed to be coming out pretty soon. (Although I wouldn't wait too long, since it prolly won't be a huge upgrade.) It's basically the same as the P5E-VM but on the new G45 chipset with the ICH10R southbridge, with a newer onboard sound chip and probably some other tweaks here and there.

There is also no SATA if that is a need but can easily be added with a card if you have to have it.

And yes, please do explain what you're talking about, as the board in question has both SATA and RAID. Perhaps you mean eSATA?

Might be worth holding off a bit for the P5Q-EM HDMI... I believe it's supposed to be coming out pretty soon. (Although I wouldn't wait too long, since it prolly won't be a huge upgrade.) It's basically the same as the P5E-VM but on the new G45 chipset with the ICH10R southbridge, with a newer onboard sound chip and probably some other tweaks here and there.

And yes, please do explain what you're talking about, as the board in question has both SATA and RAID. Perhaps you mean eSATA?

Yeah I meant E-SATA. Sorry.

So you have the Crucial Ballistix Tracers? @ 800 Mhz (stock anyway)? 4-4-4-12 timings with no issues? That's what I have.

Yes, 4 sticks worth. Runs great, I had them up to 500Mhz at 5-5-5-15 on an E8400.

What do you mean no SATA? You mean I can't connect my hard drive?
I explained my mistake above. I am currently running in matrix raid.
Or did you mean to say RAID. In that case, I don't care. Not doing RAID, the only thing I may do is add a 2nd HDD but no RAID. Or maybe you meant external SATA ports, which I don't need either.

No issues with Vista 32-bit though? It seems that people have been picking these boards up, and I like what I've read about them overall so far. Plus it looks sexy for a uATX board
Actually I am using 64bit ultimate, which I would recommend to get full use if the 4GB's of memory.(the 64bit not necessarily ultimate.

Also no intentions of doing a pencil mod. Not at least until I learn more about it anyway, and even then it just seems like a flaky method to me. Vdroop not being the greatest, I can live with.

edit: I'm shooting for 3.4 Ghz on the Q6600 (G0) though. Not trying to go too high. I will of course be procuring a Tuniq 120 for this
Depending on you ambients it is an achevable goal. Also take a look at the Zertherm NV120, it is my current favorite. The Xigamtek also looks nice especially for the money.

Last edited:
When will the P5Q-EM HDMI be out? I was going to get this by the first of September. If it's not out by then, I doubt I can wait. I would like a more recent chipset, but I know once I get my money next month, I'll get the P5E-VM HDMI if the P5Q-EM HDMI isn't out yet.

Are there any issues with the NIC or audio? That's the main thing I'm concerned about. I've read scattered problems with both of those. Something about crappy Atheros drivers and having to switch to Intel drivers to fix it.

Any power issues either (boot/shutdown)?

Last edited:
I haven't had trouble with either. I started with both from the Asus site and let Windows install an update to the NIC. Both have worked fine. Keep in mind I have crap speakers so I can't really attest to sound quality much.

Well that's a relief. It's just that you read problems people have had, and you wanna make sure it's not something commonplace before you actually buy the product. I'm guessing a few people just got faulty boards? It can happen with even the best brand names though. I'm not worried. Asus has a 3 year warranty too which is pretty nice.

Looking forward to getting this board!!!

I just hope I won't have to reinstall Vista. I have no viable way to back up all the data on my HDD. I wonder if I could just remove the current drivers for the chipset, SATA/IDE controllers, and whatever else mobo-related BEFORE installing the Asus board? I've never swapped out a mobo on an existing system before.

Quick question about this board as well if I might hijack the thread.

I'm looking to build small form factor system and I have several required features:

1) Firewire
2) Support for Q9450
3) RAID
4) Upgradable to 8GB of ram in the future

The board seems perfect for my needs but I'm hoping for some clarification on the RAID.

I want to RAID two 500GB hard drives together in RAID 1 but I'm under the impression that RAID uses up SATA 1,2,5,6. Am I going to lose all four of these SATA headers if I use the built in RAID? I could really use the extras as I would like to throw in two optical drives, a 10K OS drive and use one for eSATA without resorting to using PATA or PCI cards. What are my options?

Back