• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking EX38-DQ6 With 8GB of Ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dodgexander

I hope someone can help out with the settings i need to overclock this board up to 4ghz. I had it running steady with 4gb 2x2gb sticks and now with 8gb, whenever i up my e8400 to 4ghz, the pc runs very slow and eventually crashes. This is regardless of 445x9 or 500x8.

Can anyone help with my mb settings becuase it would seem like my NB cannot cope or something?!!??

Parts in sig.

Cheers

¬Dodge

Using the following BIOS template for the X38-DQ6 (should be similar options as compared to the EX38-DQ6), fill out as much info as possible and post the results in this thread...
Code:
CPU Host Clock Control:
CPU Host Frequency(Mhz) :
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) :
C.I.A.2:
Performance Enhance :
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)
Memory Frequency(Mhz):
DRAM Timing Selectable :
[b]Standard Timing Control[/b]
CAS Latency Time: :
DRAM RAS# to CAS# :
DRAM RAS# Precharge :
Precharge Delay(tRAS) :
[b]Advanced Timing Control[/b]
ACT to ACT Delay(tRRD) :
Rank Write to READ Delay :
Write To Precharge Delay :
Refresh to ACT Delay : 
Read To Precharge Delay : 
tRD :
tRD Phase Adjustment :
Command to #CS Timing: :
[b]Clock Driving and Skew Control[/b]
CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control :
CPU Clock Skew Control : Normal
(G)MCH Clock Skew Control : Normal
[b]System Voltage Control[/b]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control :
PCI-E OverVoltage Control :
FSB OverVoltage Control :
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control :
MCH Reference Voltage Control : Normal
DDR Reference Voltage Control : Normal
DDR Termination Voltage Control : Normal
CPU GTLREF1 Voltage* :
CPU GTLREF2 Voltage* :
CPU Voltage Control :
Normal CPU Vcore :

[b]Advanced Bios Features[/b]
CPU Multi-Threading
Limit CPUID Max to 3
No-Execute Memory Protect
CPU Enhanced Halt(CIE)
CPU Thermal Monitor 2
CPU EIST Function
Virtuaalization Technology

Cheers guys, will report back when i get home. I did have some success last night and managed to boot at 4ghz 6,6,7,19 (letting the mobo use AUTO Mem settings) and it booted into windows and was faster in general, however the usual problem occured, applications in vista 'Suddenly stopped working' this happens every 20 mins in Crysis, the rest of the applications seem to close randomly. I havent even bothered to stress test yet because i know its really unstable. As for NB voltage, do you know what the default voltage is? I have tried up to +300 and it doesnt seem to make an effect. To be honest, im pretty disapointed to find this problem with a board advertising 'QUAD' DDR 2 Slots'OC to 1200mhz'. Especially since i have heard this seems to be common with the x38 chipset in general, especially when ive heard the P35 handles better with 4 dimms!

Cheers

~Dodge

Hey guys, sorry i took so long, i was actually ripping my case apart and install some new cooling over the past few days. I also unfortunately have had a bad back, so things didnt work out to be fast as i wanted them to be!

Here are my settings, i have tried messing around with the settings, but to no avail. I think i could do with a bit of expert advice.
CPU Host Clock Control:Enabled
CPU Host Frequency(Mhz) : 4.00GHz
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) :110
C.I.A.2: Disabled
Performance Enhance : Standard
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)
Memory Frequency(Mhz): 1068
DRAM Timing Selectable : Manual
Standard Timing Control
CAS Latency Time: : 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# :5
DRAM RAS# Precharge :5
Precharge Delay(tRAS) :18
Advanced Timing Control
ACT to ACT Delay(tRRD) : Auto
Rank Write to READ Delay :Auto
Write To Precharge Delay :Auto
Refresh to ACT Delay : Auto
Read To Precharge Delay : Auto
tRD :Auto
tRD Phase Adjustment :Auto
Command to #CS Timing: :Auto
Clock Driving and Skew Control
CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control : 800mV
CPU Clock Skew Control : Normal
(G)MCH Clock Skew Control : Normal
System Voltage Control
DDR2 OverVoltage Control : +0.30v
PCI-E OverVoltage Control : +0.05v
FSB OverVoltage Control : + 0.10v
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control : + 0.200
MCH Reference Voltage Control : Normal
DDR Reference Voltage Control : Normal
DDR Termination Voltage Control : Normal
CPU GTLREF1 Voltage* :NA
CPU GTLREF2 Voltage* :NA
CPU Voltage Control :1.40000v
Normal CPU Vcore : 1.22500v

Advanced Bios Features
CPU Multi-Threading: NA
Limit CPUID Max to 3 : Disabled
No-Execute Memory Protect:Disabled
CPU Enhanced Halt(CIE): Disabled
CPU Thermal Monitor 2: Disabled
CPU EIST Function: Disabled
Virtuaalization Technology: Disabled

Last edited:
Hmm, why not run memtest86? Test for errors, just in case your os gets corrupted.

PS: remember me?

Blazing fire;5751293]PS: remember me?

Of course i can! Hows TF2 Going?:D

Blazing fire;5751293]Hmm, why not run memtest86? Test for errors, just in case your os gets corrupted.

I just ran Memtest using the above settings apart from lowering my RAM to 1.9 v. 2passes stable
:confused:
500x8 on my 8400 brings FSB 2000!!:confused: <-- could this be too much for my board?

Edit## just been running OCCT to test CPU, stability seems to be fine..however, everything seems so much slower than setting my cpu at 3ghz!!

Edit 2: Great...suddenly stopped working messages in windows are back..

Last edited:
I don't play so often now that my exams are coming :). Thanks for asking.

I'll run it a wee bit longer. Say 30minutes on test #5.

No, isn't high.

I used to have this problem. I had a blue screen error for .5 seconds and it reboots by itself. I cleared the cmos and it was fine from then onwards.

Normally, I'll increase voltage but yours is already quite high. I don't know.

Memtest was running for 2 hours 30mins, but il try what you suggested. Its a bit strange, i increased my voltage to 1.4125 and it didnt really make a difference. You can use the pc, stress test in windows fine etc. But the moment you are just browsing the internet for instance, random background applications will 'suddenly stop working' in vista. The only way i have been able to repeat this is when playing crysis or another game. The game crashes, and in the background, the usual 'Suddenly stopped working' message again.

What exactly could be causing this? Is my CPU Damaged? I remember once my board overvolted it automatically at 1.55v for one boot. Could this of burnt out my CPU to cause this to happen? or do you think it could be my Motherboard?

This is driving me mad!! (everything works fine at Stock!!)

Someone help him! I really don't know...

You CPU won't be damage by what we call a "dead run".

Anyway, try setting all your timings (advance included) to manual. I'm basically plucking things from air. Can't help this time.

I think i might of cracked it by tweaking some advance settings. Of course these settings are taken from the SPD or EPP so they are the same regardless of how many dimms you have installed. Turns out my advance settings needed to be loosened, for refference i found a post on tweaktown : memory-timings-explained-w-suggested-timings-memset-vs-bios.

Last edited:
Yeah, i think its pretty much solved, no suddenly stopped working any more:D

Basically, for anyone who searches this thread,or is using 4gb of DDR 1000 or 1066 ram, make sure you losen the advance settings in your bios. The problem seems to relate to the Northbridge and not the memory itself, raising voltage to the DIMMS or loosing commen timings will not help, dig in to the advance settings.

Back