• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Polycold or Cryo-type cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninety-9 SE-L

I'm not really into extreme cooling or extreme overclocking, myself, but I was wondering.

I work in a lab that utilizes high-vac chambers. We use 2 different types of units to achieve high vac: Cryo pumps and Diffusion pumps. You can look them up if you don't know how they work, but the main point is that both use phase change to achieve very low temperatures.

The Diffusion pumps use a polycold unit that probably will get down to -150*C and the cyro pumps use hydrogen as a refrigerant to achieve about -268*C. I know the polycold could maintain that temperature, I'm not sure about the cryo, once introduced to a hot processor.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried using a polycold unit or a hydrogen pump to achieve such temperatures on a more consistant basis.

it depends what kind of wattages they can handle costantly, my bet is they cant handly high wattages very well.

Actually they can. Polycold P100 is rated for about 500W at -130C.
These are large scale autocascading systems, and can be modified for CPU use, as far as cold air goes however (and some polycolds do produce that temperature nitrogen gas stream), it won't work due to most components becoming unusable at those temperatures.
It'll cost a thousand bucks easy to convert to a CPU unit, or even up to $10,000 depending on the polycold blend.

you will be the first to try... lets see some pictures!

Well, I'm not really into extreme cooling, I was just asking because I service these devices from day to day and I was curious.

Not too sure what we pay for new/rebuilt units, but I know we have a few old polycolds sitting in the back in questionable condition. Makes me think it wouldn't be too much to buy a used one.

Actually they can. Polycold P100 is rated for about 500W at -130C.
These are large scale autocascading systems, and can be modified for CPU use, as far as cold air goes however (and some polycolds do produce that temperature nitrogen gas stream), it won't work due to most components becoming unusable at those temperatures.
It'll cost a thousand bucks easy to convert to a CPU unit, or even up to $10,000 depending on the polycold blend.
Hehe, well, I KNOW just about any polycold will do the job, oil diffusion pumps put out quite a few watts in heat energy.

No clue on the cryo pumps, you'd basically have to modify the cold-head to seat properly with a CPU. I'd imagine that's all up to the compressor unit.

You have some polycolds just sitting? Where are you located? If your work is looking to trash or get rid of something like that, I'd love to make a bid.

I'll see what my boss says about the units we have. I'm in FL, by the way.

We actually just cleaned out the back a little I think there's 2 or 3 polycolds, one may be sold along with a vacuum chamber I know is sold as well. I also saw a couple of cryo compressors back there that may be of use.

We have a tendency to take a lot of our older stuff (either something that broke or was obsolete for our needs), stick it in the back with no label or tag and just let it sit there in questionable condition. Some stuff we use as backup units, but I don't know what the deal is with these. I'll see if I can get some model numbers to see what kind of power handling they do.

Quick note, I wouldn't expect them to be too cheap, not to mention shipping costs. The small units are about the size of a small apartment fridge, maybe a bit shorter, the tallest one is taller than me. They all appear to have outputs and returns, probably using either helium lines or hard copper lines. PS: you'd probably want an air cooled units, some of the units are cooled by water.

Actually I own a watercooled unit, have a massive lytron heat exchanger with 14" fan setup on it. It's rather nice to control the head pressure ;)

ya help out NoL he knows his s*** ;) besides the shiping would kill me hahahaha

Last edited:
Back