• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5k deluxe ultra slow boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

For some reason my asus p5k deluxe mobo has started booting extremely slowly. If I enter the bios setup, it won't respond properly to key presses except in slow motion, taking perhaps 3 ro 4 seconds to recognize a key press. It's almost as if its responding to continuous interrupts generated by the system which are higher priority than the keyboard.

When it gets to the boot option screen and begins to count down from 30 seconds to zero, each count which previously was a second is now 3-5 seconds long. Finally booting into Windows after several minutes allows the system to begin functioning normally and there is no sign of slowdown or problems testing the ram, harddrive or CPU.

This system has all SATA drives in Matrix RAID with a SATA DVDplayer and an ATI 3870.

ANY THEORIES?

1. I have heard this board has audio driver problems, disabling the audio in the bios does nothing.

2. I have read this board has RAID problems, disabling RAID makes no difference.

3. Booting at stock makes no difference.

4. Replacing the keyboard and mouse with PS2 equivalents, makes no difference.

5. Replacing the ram makes no difference.

6. Setting the bios to default settings, makes no difference.

7. Every so often, for no apparent reason, it will boot normally, but immediate revert back to trouble if I reboot again.

ARGgggggggggggggggg :bang head

Thats quite odd. Have you re-flashed the bios? Since the problem affects something as low-level as navigating the bios, I would guess the problem is originating from there. An rma could be in your future.

Thats quite odd. Have you re-flashed the bios? Since the problem affects something as low-level as navigating the bios, I would guess the problem is originating from there. An rma could be in your future.

It is very odd indeed; especially since WinXP appears to run normally with no speed decrease. I did upgrade the bios, but it wasn't doing that right away and I need that bios to run the new CPU. Hmmm, perhaps it started after I swapped CPUs.

Back