• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI NEO 3 P45 BOOT PROBLEM after Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freak11

Hi guys,
I have an MSI NEO 3 P45 with a Q6600, geforce 8800 gtx, and 4 gigs of OCZ ram which can run up to 1066MHZ. My southbridge is on auto, northbridge is on 1,2 VOlt and FSB voltage is at 1,3. My cpu voltage is at 1,46 voltage and my cpu is overclocked to 3 ghz.

Sometimes when i overclock my cpu, it works on the first boot perfectly but then i have problems in booting and it says that it cannot read my harddrive. THen i have to reset the cmos and start again. it is very annoying. do you guys think that the northbridge is damaged?

Well MSI isn't known to be a good overclocking board to begin with, also I've never heard/read about the Straight Power 600 Watt psu you have.

Might be 2 things causing the problem:

1) Motherboard
2) Power Supply.

Reset the cmos back to it's defaults. Manually set the ram timings/ram voltage only. Leave the FSB alone.

See if you can get access to a digital multimeter and test your power supply's rails. Here's a Psu testing guide .

What type of cooling are you using on the cpu?

Well MSI isn't known to be a good overclocking board to begin with, also I've never heard/read about the Straight Power 600 Watt psu you have.

Might be 2 things causing the problem:

1) Motherboard
2) Power Supply.

Reset the cmos back to it's defaults. Manually set the ram timings/ram voltage only. Leave the FSB alone.

See if you can get access to a digital multimeter and test your power supply's rails. Here's a Psu testing guide .

What type of cooling are you using on the cpu?

Hi,
well be quiet is an excellent psu in germany. It is like thermaltake or enermax in usa. I will still test it. Do you think maybe that i burned by cpu because the cpu voltage was at 1.58Volt once and i hit 80C. However, if the cpu is burned then i wouldnt be able to start at all, i think.

the rams are checked and there are no errors. I have left them on default. On the ram it says 2.2 Volt but i just left it on auto (1.8v). I had bad experience putting the voltage up coz each time i do this, errors come up in the ram.

how about i take my geforce 8800 out and replace it with an old geforce 5200 coz 5200 only needs a small amount of power from the psu.

OK, if you put the ram voltage to it's spec of 2.2v with it's default timings and you get errors, then something is wrong with your ram. It's suggested you send them in for RMA/Replacement to start.

1.58v on a Q6600 on air is risky. Especially temps @ 80c. You may/may not have damaged the chip.

You can prolly swap video cards. Maybe this will help.

OK, if you put the ram voltage to it's spec of 2.2v with it's default timings and you get errors, then something is wrong with your ram. It's suggested you send them in for RMA/Replacement to start.

1.58v on a Q6600 on air is risky. Especially temps @ 80c. You may/may not have damaged the chip.

You can prolly swap video cards. Maybe this will help.

hi,
i found the problem, the problem was the low timings and the low voltage . I put the timings to 5 5 5 18 and voltage at 1.8-2V.

If i put the timings lower and leave the voltage at 2.2V, is there a possibility of errors occuring? the spec is 2.2. the rams are just replaced and new and they dont have any errors and i want to keep them clean from any errors but i also wanna play with the timings and put them low.

right now timings are set at auto and ram at 2V. CPU is overclocked to 3150 Ghz at 1.51V and everything is stable. nb at 1,2 v and fsb volt at 1,3 V. prime is running and no errors so far.

If i go to 3200 ghz then blue screen comes up. My cpu needs a lot of voltage. So if i put the cpu to 1.58V then i can run stable at 3200 ghz but that is too risky for just 50 mhz. i gotta find another way.

Well MSI isn't known to be a good overclocking board to begin with

I've had ZERO problems with my MSI P45 Neo3-FR at over 500fsb and i've pushed a few chips pretty far. Usually problems come into play when a user gets a setting wrong. This is not the fault of the hardware.

I've had ZERO problems with my MSI P45 Neo3-FR at over 500fsb and i've pushed a few chips pretty far. Usually problems come into play when a user gets a setting wrong. This is not the fault of the hardware.

I can honestly say with great regret that MSI boards are junk. I've had several from the skt 462 to the 939 and they are the worst piece of junk ever made. They are all plagued with problems. Running stock sure there's no issue, try ocing and they're all plagued with problems. I tried evry concievable combination including spending more money on new parts ( ram, psu, cooling, hdd's, OS's) and nothing.

I will not buy nor recommend a MSI mobo period. If you was able to achieve stability with your board, then congrats, lucky you. As for me that was not the case.

To the OP: Congrats on finding the cause of your problem. You will need better cooling for your Quad as it's putting out too much heat for that Zalman to keep up with.

I can honestly say with great regret that MSI boards are junk. I've had several from the skt 462 to the 939 and they are the worst piece of junk ever made. They are all plagued with problems. Running stock sure there's no issue, try ocing and they're all plagued with problems. I tried evry concievable combination including spending more money on new parts ( ram, psu, cooling, hdd's, OS's) and nothing.

I will not buy nor recommend a MSI mobo period. If you was able to achieve stability with your board, then congrats, lucky you. As for me that was not the case.

To the OP: Congrats on finding the cause of your problem. You will need better cooling for your Quad as it's putting out too much heat for that Zalman to keep up with.

So you are in the Intel Motherboards > Socket 771/775 section telling people MSI is junk based off of your AMD based product? That is 100% silly IMHO. This is my 3rd MSI for the intel platform and they have all performed FLAWLESSLY.

as an owner of a msi board, i can say they are junk. asus and gigabyte are 100 times better.

Back