• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Cold Boot Problem -- think I got it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RealWatzmann

... at least I know now how to spare myself the hassle with my new GA EP-45 DS3R (Q9450, 4 x 2 GB OCZ XTC P1066) every morning. It's the FSB strap, you must not change it at cold boot. As long as a I keep the memory multiplier in the same strap as the processor defaults to originally (as in a cold start), in my case the B strap (b/c 333 MHz) -- there's no double boot or loop, no matter how I set CPU FSB (provided it's not too much). 2.40B works fine, but 2.66D, which I'd prefer, doesn't. (Or, for that matter, any other A, C or D value.) Though it works with a warm boot.

This BIOS (F8) is a bit sluggish, I think. It can't do too many things in one go, or do several goes and still boot up. I have also experienced cold boot loops when a USB hard drive was connected and switched on, or a USB scanner. But, thank God, no problem when I switch them with Windows (Vista 64) running. Perhaps this can be cured by disabling "Legacy USB detect".

What's worse, I suspect that manually set memory voltage and timings are also too much for a cold boot. Most troublefree seems to keep everything on AUTO.

Last edited:
I've had the same issues with my board. I have to boot twice in the morning if I want my EPP memory settings. I'd pretty much given up trying to OC my cpu on this board due to these boot issues.

Back