• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Asus P5Q-E question (in the build process right now!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rabidhilljack

Registered
Hey Gang,

I just screwed my Asus P5Q-E into my Antec 1200. My question is, do I need to use these little red washers that came with my case? If so, do they go above the standoffs and behind the mobo, between the mobo and my screw, or both?

I'm using the screws with wide, flat faces that cover the little nubs around screw hole...is there a different type of screw I should be using? I made sure not to use the ribbed ones...only smooth ones.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I haven't hit her with power yet....so there is still time to undo any mistakes!

Thanks again for any input,

Rabid

RTFM??? Yep, tried that.

PS, I checked the mobo manual and it didn't say jack....neither does the antec 1200 manual.

Just wanted to clarify.

just to be trueful with you i always bench test the board on the mo box to make sure it works first out side the case then mount it and test again to make sure theres no shorts .then go on with the rest of the stuff like dvd harddrives
btw welcome to the forums
Rich

Thanks for the tip guys. I've been working on PC's for years now (IT), but I apparently don't pay too close of attention to the little details. I'm digging this build so far. I've got all my hardware in the case, but now I need to run my power cables and configure jumpers, fans, front panel connectors, etc....

Looks bitchin' though!

Workin' with an Antec 1200
P5Q-E
EVGA 9800 GX2
500 gig HDD
4 gig G.Skill Ram
Corsair TX650
Intel E8400 (won't have an aftermarket cooler on there for the first month or so).... probably won't get around to overclocking until then anyway.

I hope I can get it to post tonight!

looks to be a great combo good luck
Rich

I finally got some stable settings on it. It's now at 4.2ghz, 442x9.5 @1.32v in Windows according to CPU-Z. Temps are a little higher than I would like, but I will be getting a new cooler very shortly. Prime'd for an hour, then I started to game. Will leave Prime running overnight while I go to sleep, hope I'll wake up to it still running :D

I finally got some stable settings on it. It's now at 4.2ghz, 442x9.5 @1.32v in Windows according to CPU-Z. Temps are a little higher than I would like, but I will be getting a new cooler very shortly. Prime'd for an hour, then I started to game. Will leave Prime running overnight while I go to sleep, hope I'll wake up to it still running :D

no problem, this board can pass 500FSB. I think if you tried, you could go 9x480 with a little more juice. Whats your NB voltage at? Aslong as your CPUv is under 1.4 you're good for 24/7 on the E8500.

no problem, this board can pass 500FSB. I think if you tried, you could go 9x480 with a little more juice. Whats your NB voltage at? Aslong as your CPUv is under 1.4 you're good for 24/7 on the E8500.

I don't think my current ram would handle that. Was testing my ram with a lower multi, it was giving me issues at 450mhz. Finally got the ram stable. Now it's been running Orthos Blend for 10 hours, 442x9.5 with 1.362 in Windows. A little hot though, but that'll be taken care of soon :)

I don't think my current ram would handle that. Was testing my ram with a lower multi, it was giving me issues at 450mhz. Finally got the ram stable. Now it's been running Orthos Blend for 10 hours, 442x9.5 with 1.362 in Windows. A little hot though, but that'll be taken care of soon :)

thats lovely, are you sure its your RAM though? You could squeeze in a lot more voltage into that chip if you got the right cooling :D

GD Heatsink!!!

So, I thought i'd put the stock heatsink on last night and roll with that until my first cleaning...give me time to figure out what heatsink I want...and save that 60-70 bucks until later.

Well, after about 20 minutes of push pin madness I tore that b@#$%@#% of there and went an bought a Zalman 9700. Finally got that mounted, and now the rig looks better. Before that heatsink looked like it belonged in a mATX case....now it is filled out better!

Ran power to everything but the fans. Need to start patching cables like power button, front usb's and whatnot ..... but won't have time til monday.

On the fans, any conventional wisdom you guys can offer? Should I plug my three front fans together in a series and just give them one peripheral power plug? or should they each get their own?

Thanks!

thats lovely, are you sure its your RAM though? You could squeeze in a lot more voltage into that chip if you got the right cooling :D

Yes, I'm sure it's my ram. I dropped my multi down to 6 to see how much FSB my ram could handle, and it was having issues at 450mhz.

Back