• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory minus 10 Celcius

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freak11

hi guys,
has anyone ever cooled 4 gigs of ram to minus 10C? Is it worth doing this and what advantage does one have from such an overclocked memory? is there an issue with cold bug?

They should clock better if you are looking to push them to the extreme limits speed and voltage wise.

Is it worth it? That is up to you, my guess is no unless you are an extreme bencher.

Cold bug? I don't think memory can cold bug really...maybe it will if it causes it to not function correctly though.

cool, and when u benchmark something like a memory, do you put the voltage to its maximum and then reduce it steadily or what is ur way of working out the voltage?

cool, and when u benchmark something like a memory, do you put the voltage to its maximum and then reduce it steadily or what is ur way of working out the voltage?
Too much voltage can hurt just as much as too little voltage, only use as much as you need ;)

I don't benchmark memory at all, so that is about the extent of my knowledge on that :)

This is just too much XD lololol

RAM wont ever need to go to -10ºC! It doesn't scale like processors, it has a window, and that's it!

Ram has been played with, at lower temps its often found that the same clocks can be acheieved with maybe 2-3% less vdimm, however it almost never shows an increase in clocks, and does not save ram from dying with more voltage.

You can freeze it, but like said above, it won't get the benefits that processors do.

For benching RAM, a lot of people use everest. That's not scored at hwbot so I've never even run it before.

Pifast loves fast RAM. Superpi 32m can benefit from fast RAM as well. Also, I've gotten huge gains in Aquamark from pushing my RAM a bit :thup:

It does get the same benefits that CPU's do, it's just that no one bothers. ;) We're talking like 330 2-2-2 on BH5 and 800+ 5-5-5 on GMH's with LN2 cooling...you can't match that on air.

What happens when it becomes a super conductor? Will is still function like a RAM? It should, since only resistance is reduced.

It won't become a superconductor most likely, only certain materials do, and normally only with liquid helium.

ive been wondering about that, which gets colder, liquid helium or LN2 ?

from my understanding of this science (yay physics class) decreasing the temperature will let the current flow more freely there by needing less to achieve the same result. there fore you should be able to clock it higher with less voltage increase.

Memory however tops out, theres no an infinite max, and it has a very harsh curve of deminishing returns.

Back