• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System for daughter - cheap!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jighead47

Registered
Built new system - ATX mobo and case, new cpu, robbed the drives from old system. Now I'm looking to build a system for my daughter - just bought used soyo ATX mobo with a K-6 400. Hoping that I can use old AT case and PSU. Soyo MB doesn't have AT interface. FYI - searched quite a bit for info on mixing ATX MB with AT PSU and all I can find is reccomendations to buy new power supply. Would like to mod old case to make it look cool for her, hoping to use old power supply to save $.

My question is, is there an adapter or a way to rig an AT psu into an ATX mb?

Thanks, Nick

There might be... If the mobo physicly fits the case (eg, the CPU dosen't end up directly under the drive bays, and all the PCI cards line up with the holes and such), then you should only have to make new mounting holes in the case. But I've never even thought of attempting something like this, so.......

JigPu

You might be better off buying a cheap case for £20.
Although I have done it it kind of hangs buy the PCI cards as no screws are holding it in.

I don't really reccomend it.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Nick_cw; I can set the standouts to fit board, all I need is way to wire AT psu to ATX board. Is that what you did? thanx

Depending on the motherboard tray in the AT case, you should be able to use it as an ATX case. What you can do is figure out how big a rectangle you'll need to cut in the back where the ps2/usb/parallell/etc connectors are, and cut a hole. It wont be the prettiest thing (unless you can dig up an ATX backplate), but it'll work. You may have to lose on of the PCI openings on the case, but I don't see why you can't just cut a rectangular opening in the case.

Here's a good page to use to help...http://www.moddingzone.com/articles/at-to-atx/

As for converting the psu, I know you can use ATX on AT, but cant find anything on AT to ATX...best I can tell you to save money is to find a computer shop around town or a computer show to look for either a cheap generic peice or a used unit...I'm sure you can find a decent psu for a k62 for around $10 or so...

Good luck!
Mike

jighead47 said:
Nick_cw; I can set the standouts to fit board, all I need is way to wire AT psu to ATX board. Is that what you did? thanx

Unofrtunately i have never found a AT>ATX adapter I don't think its possible really. (Although I may be wrong!!)

I just bought a new cheap $20 PSU and as all PSu's will fit any case stuck it in.

Hope this helps you on your quest.:p

Nick

Back